Senior Director, Vector Development
Manager: VP, Technical Development
Department: Technical Development
Location: Richmond, CA
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo genome editing, and in vivo genome regulation. At Sangamo, we are passionate in developing genomic medicines to transform the lives of patients with serious diseases. We transform lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo genome editing. Our top priority is t meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let’s build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking a Senior Director in Vector Development to lead efforts in developing new viral and non-viral delivery methods for gene and cell therapy products. This includes development of new helpers for adeno-associated virus (AAV) production in Sf9 and HEK293 cell lines, optimization of helpers containing novel serotypes, production of viral vectors and non-viral vectors and the development of non-viral delivery systems. The Senior Director works with technical operations staff and core teams to help implement new technologies into clinical programs. This role requires working with external partners to develop new technologies for both viral and non-viral delivery systems. The position is responsible for small-scale production and purification of viral vectors using multiple production systems. The Senior Director also works closely with research to supply materials for ongoing research activities and is the key point of contact within technical development to research and development (R&D). The position will oversee vector development and vector production staff, ensure seamless delivery of materials to R&D, and develop IP and presentation plans to represent Sangamo at conferences and meetings. The position requires adaptability, excellent planning and communication skills as well as the ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented, multidisciplinary environment.
- Develop and produce new production systems for viral and non-viral delivery including but not limited to AAV, lentivirus, plasmid DNA, RNA, LNP, lipoplexes and polyplexes.
- Oversee the vector development and vector production core activities within technical development
- Represent technical operations with R&D
- Develop strategies and work with internal and external collaborators to develop delivery systems and support make versus buy decisions
- Serve as technical operations SME on vector production and non-viral delivery
- Hire, develop, and mentor the Vector Development team
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Ph.D. in virology, molecular biology, biochemistry, chemical engineering, vector biology, or related fields. MS with additional experience will be considered.
- At least 15 years of work-related experience in industry or academics
- Expertise in virology with some experience in AAV production preferred, but not required
- Experience with analytical assays
- Previous management experience
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Knowledge of Quality Systems and GMP is a plus
- Experience with lab design is a plus
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary industrial environment
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
The above reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this position but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The above duties are representative only; management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
Note to External Recruiters: Please understand that we do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. Any agency or independent recruiter must have a signed copy of our agency agreement before presenting candidates. Submission of unsolicited resumes without our signed agreement will not create any implied obligation on our part.
If you wish to be considered for the presentation of candidates, please contact us through Recruiting@sangamo.com. Attach your contact information, your area of specialty, and any marketing information you wish to provide. Someone from the Talent Acquisition Department will contact you directly if there is a business need for your services.