Principal Scientist II
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Serve as the lead scientist/engineer overseeing technical strategies and activities for a product or family of products and contribute scientific insights into multiple other projects. Assume technical ownership of a given product across the various stages of development and commercialization in coordination with other functional areas. May direct others within the Drug Product Owner function, serving as a mentor and/or guiding other scientific leaders.
- Capable of serving as the technical product/process expert for multiples products, representing S&T across multiple functions. Maintain technical oversight of other products lead by independent drug product owners.
- Generate new scientific proposals and lead those efforts. Anticipate and critically evaluate scientific or regulatory advances or competitive threats and respond with appropriate new strategies.
- Author, review, and/or approve technical reports and/or regulatory submission documents.
- Make significant contributions to the project team; ensure timely and robust technical transfers.
- Seize opportunities to pursue project relevant leads that are in line with the group’s strategy.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug compounds, and GxP compliance.
- May mentor/supervise a team of one or more and guide and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education in Science related field with extensive (typically16 years) of related work; Master’s Degree or equivalent education in Science or PharmD or equivalent education with extensive (typically 14 years) of related work; PhD in Science or related field with typically 8-10 years of related work experience.
- Proven ability to innovate and solve complex problems.
- Interacts well with diverse groups within function and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others in areas of science.
- Experience in Amorphous Solid Dispersion, milling, compression and/or extrusion processes preferred.
- Position will be hired based on level of education & experience.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.