(Associate) Scientist, Advanced Microscopy
Machine learning integrated with biology at scale lies at the core of insitro’s approach to rethinking drug discovery and development. As a Functional Genomics / Advanced Microscopy Scientist, you will invent, validate, and develop innovative new technologies related to multiplexed imaging techniques, genetic perturbation, high-throughput screening, and functional genomics. You will work closely with our Data Engineering, Process Engineering, Machine Learning, Translational Science, Molecular Design and Disease Modeling Teams to validate emerging methodologies and invent cutting-edge technologies that help to achieve insitro’s goal of quantifying biology and curing disease. You will develop molecular imaging methods to create massively scaled datasets, and work side-by-side with fellow biologists and engineers to develop predictive models that will uncover healthy, diseased, and reverted phenotypes in human cellular assays across several therapeutic areas. You will have demonstrated your ability to perform independent troubleshooting on complex workflows, to work in a highly cross-disciplinary, fast-moving and fluid environment, and to consistently deliver high quality data that has driven platform projects forward. You possess a strong collaborative work ethic, ability to adapt to changing needs, an innovative spirit, and the capacity to multitask to meet key goals. Strong communication and presentation skills are essential to success in this position.
Specifically, you will:
- Design and build multiplex FISH/protein detection via techniques such as merFISH, seqFISH, immunoSABER, etc.
- Design and onboard complex, cell-based (e.g. iPSC) phenotypic assays using leading edge, high-content readouts (e.g. imaging, genomics)
- Dive into and validate scientific literature regarding cellular disease models, and adapt clinical disease phenotypes/biomarkers into reliable, high-throughput assays
- Design and onboard next generation genetic perturbation technology in service of better, faster and more comprehensive disease modeling and drug target identification
- Work closely with relevant functional areas to ensure quality, reproducibility and relevance of data generation
- Trouble-shoot and solve problems related to cell-type dependency, protocol and reagent optimization, automation and scaling, data acquisition and consistency, and instrument selection
- Drive improvements in our overall process, finding efficiencies at every stage of the assay workflow
- Partner with our Data Science/Machine Learning teams to optimize genomic/image analysis strategies and model building
- Identify and onboard new strategies and methodologies which could advance insitro’s capabilities
You will be joining a biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, providing many opportunities for meaningful impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- MS or Ph.D. in a Biology, Biophysics, Bioengineering, Genomics, and Genetics discipline, or equivalent experience
- An outstanding scientific track record in your area of expertise
- Deep understanding of molecular assay development (e.g. microscopy, multiplexed high-content imaging, transcriptomics) and/or genetic perturbation techniques
- Proven record of building a novel and complex phenotypic assay and/or gene-editing technique from ground up
- Familiarity with the application of data science / ML techniques towards data analysis
- Familiarity with liquid handling and automaton
- Strong team/collaborative skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A desire to transform drug discovery and help patients
Nice to Have
- A demonstrated expertise in scientific programming and data analysis (e.g., Python, R) with practical application of these skills is a strong plus
- Experience working with complex in-vitro models such as iPSCs
Benefits at insitro
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy
- Team lunches (catered daily)
- Complementary onsite barista and snacks
- Commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
insitro is a drug discovery and development company using machine learning and data generation at scale to transform the way that drugs are discovered and delivered to patients. We rely on human genetic cohorts, human-derived cellular disease models, and high-throughput biology and chemistry to identify coherent patient segments, actionable therapeutic targets, and new or existing chemical matter. The goal is to deliver predictive insights to improve the probability of success and reduce the number of costly dead ends along the R&D journey. The company has established enabling collaborations with Gilead in NASH and Bristol Myers Squibb in ALS and is building a pipeline of wholly owned and partnered medicines leveraging its unique insights on patient biomarkers, targets, and molecules. insitro is located in South San Francisco, CA and has raised over $600M from top tech, biotech, and crossover investors since formation in 2018. For more information on insitro, please visit the company’s website at www.insitro.com.