Payroll Supervisor / Sr Accountant
Ambrx is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company with a mission to deliver breakthrough protein therapeutics through our proprietary technology. Unlike conventional conjugation technologies that creates a mixture of suboptimal molecules, Ambrx technology incorporates non-natural amino acids beyond the common twenty into the protein biosynthesis, enabling site specific conjugation of payloads, pharmacokinetic extenders with proteins to create novel homogenous molecular species that is optimized for safety, efficacy and biophysical properties.
Ambrx is seeking a highly motivated and dedicated Payroll Supervisor / Sr. Accountant to be a key member of the Finance team in a fast-paced and dynamic environment. The Payroll Supervisor / Sr. Accountant will ensure accurate processing and recording of the company’s payroll, provide timely and accurate financial information, daily data entry and perform related work as required.
- Manages biweekly payroll process with 3rd party payroll processor that includes importing, proofing, editing, processing and transmitting of payroll and related payroll deductions, reimbursements, bonuses, and manual payments consistent with federal and state wage and hour laws
- Provides excellent customer service to employees: in the areas of compensation, taxes, benefits, time-tracking, how to request time off, etc.
- Performs updates to payroll-related information and data and manages overall payroll work flow
- Ensures timely processing of all new hires, promotions and terminations and other changes to payroll data
- Analyzes and audits payroll data for accuracy of posting, including intercompany transactions.
- Prepares journal entries related to payroll and benefits and records it timely and accurately
- Processes 940/941 tax payments
- Processes accurate and timely year end reporting (W-2, W-2c, etc.)
- Develops ad hoc financial and operational reporting as needed
- May assist with audits of internal records, workers compensation, tax filings and related documentation.
- Documents payroll processes and procedures; may train payroll/finance department staff and supports new hire onboarding process
- Supports equity administration matters as assigned
- Manages T&E process and reimbursements.
- Supports month-end closing process and preparation of consolidated financial statements.
- Preparation, support, and analysis of monthly general ledger account activity, journal entries, accruals, and reconciliation of GL accounts as assigned.
- Supports annual financial audit and quarterly reviews of the company.
- Assist in development and implementation of workflow process improvements.
- Assist with special, ad-hoc projects as needed.
- Other assigned duties
- BS in business, accounting or relevant field, or equivalent years of experience
- Previous experience in Biotech industry & public company experience preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in Payroll
- Minimum of 3+ years of progressive experience in Accounting
- Proven experience as payroll specialist or payroll manager/supervisor
- Very good knowledge of legislation and regulations of the payroll field
- Solid understanding of accounting fundamentals and payroll best practices
- Strong knowledge of ADP payroll software (Workforce Now), knowledge of other payroll systems such as Paylocity is a plus
- Experience with T&E reporting software (i.e. Concur) a plus
- Trustworthy with attention to confidentiality
- Outstanding organizational ability with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and team player
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office
- Experience using Microsoft Dynamics GP (Great Plains)
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
To be considered as an applicant, please submit your resume/CV referencing the specific position of interest and position code.. Applicants whose qualifications and experiences most closely match the requirements will be reviewed. Candidates will only be contacted for evaluative discussions. Ambrx offers competitive compensation & benefits. EOE.