Software Engineering plays a key role in insitro’s approach to rethinking drug development. Our team is responsible for the software platform at insitro, which covers everything from providing orchestration and workflow software for our automated lab (LIMS, data review/visualization), data pipelines for ingesting data from pharma and research collaborators, bioinformatic pipelines for our genomic datasets, and APIs and tooling for our data science and machine learning teams. You will work closely with a cross-functional team of scientists, bioengineers, and data scientists to identify areas where software engineering can make a difference. You will design, implement, and deploy software systems across broad domains: full stack web development, backend APIs, data warehousing, data and bioinformatic pipelines, cloud infrastructure, data science and machine learning tooling. You will work as part of a team to rigorously design our software platform, identify key architectural performance improvements and support ongoing discovery and automation platforms.
You will be joining as the founding team of a biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, but yet is very much in formation. A lot can change in this early and exciting phase, providing many opportunities for significant impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in computer science, statistics, mathematics, physics, engineering, or equivalent practical experience
- Expertise in one or more general-purpose programming languages (such as Python, Java, Scala, C/C++, or Go)
- Demonstrated ability to write high-quality, production-ready code (readable, well-tested, with well-designed APIs)
- Familiarity with cloud computing services (AWS or GCP)
- Familiarity with relational databases.
- Familiarity with web services and application frameworks (Django, Flask).
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with people of diverse backgrounds and job functions
- Proficiency in Linux environment (including shell scripting), experience with database languages (e.g., SQL, No-SQL) and experience with version control practices and tools (Git, Mercurial, etc.)
- Passion for making a difference in the world
Nice to Have
- Experience with working lab and scientist stakeholders in a health tech or genomics field.
- Experience with medium-sized data sets (100TB+)
- Demonstrated ability to develop novel data engineering methods that go beyond putting together of existing code, and to apply problem-solving skills to complex issues
Benefits at insitro
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy
- Team lunches (catered daily)
- Commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
- This role may be based remotely, if preferred
insitro is a drug discovery and development company using machine learning and data generation at scale to transform the way that drugs are discovered and delivered to patients. We rely on human genetic cohorts, human-derived cellular disease models, and high-throughput biology and chemistry to identify coherent patient segments, actionable therapeutic targets, and new or existing chemical matter. The goal is to deliver predictive insights to improve the probability of success and reduce the number of costly dead ends along the R&D journey. The company has established enabling collaborations with Gilead in NASH and Bristol Myers Squibb in ALS and is building a pipeline of wholly owned and partnered medicines leveraging its unique insights on patient biomarkers, targets, and molecules. insitro is located in South San Francisco, CA and has raised over $600M from top tech, biotech, and crossover investors since formation in 2018. For more information on insitro, please visit the company’s website at www.insitro.com.