(Senior) Scientist, Liver Therapeutic Area
The heart of insitro’s strategy is the development of novel, cutting edge methods in machine learning and high-throughput biology that address key bottlenecks in the drug development pipeline. To accomplish that, we are putting together a team of life scientists with expertise in cellular and biochemical assays. In this role, you will lead projects focused on identifying and validating novel druggable targets for liver diseases. In collaboration with the Functional Genomics, Disease Modeling and Process Engineering groups, you will enable phenotypic screening of chemical libraries and genetically modified cells. There will be the opportunity for career development and over time taking on the responsibility of target prosecution and the establishment of validated biomarker assays that can be used for IND applications and/or clinical development programs.
Your primary duties will be to:
- prototype, optimize and qualify in vitro cellular and biochemical assays that model disease processes;
- contribute to the establishment of new liver disease models with the aim to conduct high throughput screens and identify novel genetic modifiers of monogenic and polygenic diseases;
- conduct secondary screens for target prioritization including lipid metabolism, cell death, inflammation and fibrosis;
- partner with data scientists and machine learning experts to establish datasets that permit identification of latent features in high-content assays that can be used to predict results obtained from bespoke disease-specific assays;
- work with automation and bioinformatics experts to implement robust and high throughput sample preparation, high content screening and data analysis workflows.
- present results to project teams and senior management;
You will be joining a biotech startup that has long-term stability due to significant funding, providing many opportunities for meaningful impact. You will work closely with a very talented team, learn a broad range of skills, and help shape insitro’s culture, strategic direction, and outcomes. Join us, and help make a difference to patients!
- PhD in technical field (molecular biology, cellular biology, etc.) or equivalent practical experience
- Extensive experience with a diverse state-of-the-art cellular and biochemical assays
- Strong experience with mammalian cell culture; experience with primary or iPSC-derived hepatocytes is preferred
- A strong scientific track record in assay development, optimization and troubleshooting
- 3+ years of work experience in a role involving biomarker research or drug target identification
- Experience building partnerships or collaborations with data scientists or computational biologist, engineers and experimental biologist
- Experience working as part of a high-performance team, including goal setting, and contributing to a culture of effective, high-quality methods development and reducing those methods to a practical implementation
- Familiarity with automated or semi-automated instrumentation, while not required, would be advantageous, as would familiarity with the multi-disciplinary activities of small molecule lead profiling
- Other criteria will include: a strong record of publications in a relevant scientific discipline; excellent teamwork, communication, time management and organization skills
- Passion for making a difference in the world
Benefits at insitro
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Open vacation policy
- Team lunches (catered daily)
- Complementary onsite barista and snacks
- Commuter benefits
- Paid parental leave
insitro is a drug discovery and development company using machine learning and data generation at scale to transform the way that drugs are discovered and delivered to patients. We rely on human genetic cohorts, human-derived cellular disease models, and high-throughput biology and chemistry to identify coherent patient segments, actionable therapeutic targets, and new or existing chemical matter. The goal is to deliver predictive insights to improve the probability of success and reduce the number of costly dead ends along the R&D journey. The company has established enabling collaborations with Gilead in NASH and Bristol Myers Squibb in ALS and is building a pipeline of wholly owned and partnered medicines leveraging its unique insights on patient biomarkers, targets, and molecules. insitro is located in South San Francisco, CA and has raised over $600M from top tech, biotech, and crossover investors since formation in 2018. For more information on insitro, please visit the company’s website at www.insitro.com.