Sr Manager, Accounting
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
The primary responsibilities of this position include providing accurate and timely financial reporting in accordance with US GAAP. In addition, the Senior Manager, Maryland Accounting will provide information to site (Bayview, Camden, Rockville, Central Warehouse; or the “Sites”) and Business Unit leadership to assist in effective planning, organization and decision making in achieving company goals. The incumbent will be responsible for directing, coordinating, and supervising operations and activities within the Maryland Plant Finance team.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Direct, coordinate and supervise operations and activities within the Maryland Plant Finance team. This includes coaching, initial and on-going training, and developing talent. Responsible for conducting semi-annual performance reviews, including evaluating performance against goals and objectives and recommending areas for development.
• Participate as key business partner to all Site Leadership Teams.
• Participate as key business partner to all Business Units served by the Sites.
• Act as key partner to Project Management and Commercial organizations in managing customer proposals and project execution.
• Responsible for ensuring succession planning and developing bench talent for the department.
• Identifying and acting on critical issues/risks and opportunities.
• Develops and manages relationships with stakeholders and industry peers, participates on internal committees to share information and assess trends.
• Manage the financial period end close process for the Sites.
• Coordinate accurate recognition of revenue for complex contracts, in accordance with ASC 606 and all other applicable standards.
• Oversee the timely completion of accurate financial statements for the Sites.
• Technical accounting and disclosure research and position papers for file (and auditor).
• Actively monitor and analyze financial results. Follow-up on areas of concern.
• Provide timely, accurate financial reporting to multiple parties, including functional, Site and Business Unit management, to assist in effective planning, organization, and direction in achieving company goals. Includes review of periodic financial variance analysis compared to prior period, budget and forecast.
• Develop, maintain and improve systems, controls, and procedures in relation to accounting functions, to ensure efficient and effective processes, resulting in timely and accurate financial reporting.
• Ensure the accuracy and integrity of the ERP system including establishing and maintaining adequate internal controls and operating procedures as required.
• Preparation or review of quarterly account reconciliations and year-end audit schedules.
• Work with external auditors in completion of quarterly and annual financial statement reviews and audits.
• Responsible for completion of SOX documentation, testing, and compliance.
• Provide financial oversight and approval for key company decisions, include Capital Expenditures, Customer Proposals, etc.
• Coordinate completion of other reporting requirements, such as United States Bureau of Economic Analysis and information for insurance purposes.
• Support Cost Accounting functions as necessary, as backup to Director – Site Controller Maryland
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
Education: Post-Secondary degree in accounting, accompanied by a professional accounting designation (CPA).
Experience: Minimum 8 years of progressively responsible accounting experience, with a strong focus on financial reporting and analysis. Over 5 years of experience in a management role, with regular interactions as the senior leadership level. Previous experience in a fast-paced manufacturing environment as well as public company experience are preferred, but not required.
Knowledge: Extensive experience with ERP systems as well as good working knowledge of internal controls, and US GAAP. Prior SAP experience preferred, but not required.
Skills: Can perform at an Intermediate level of Excel.
Abilities: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, highly organized, and able to work independently or as a part of a team
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.