Sr Manager, EHS
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Sr Manager, Environmental, Health & Safety leads the site’s environmental, health and safety (EHS) efforts and related regulatory compliance to obtain industry leading results through programs, education, and training. This role is responsible for occupational safety and health in the workplace, environmental protection, industrial hygiene, and sustainability. The incumbent will partner with all functions and department leaders to establish and maintain a culture of EHS and operational excellence. Oversees development, planning and implementation of EHS policies, programs and auditing procedures along with organizational and systems alignment for reduced operational risk at their responsible site. In addition, this role supports enterprise EHS initiatives and execution at the local site level.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Sets the site strategy and plans for achieving EHS excellence in partnership with the global function, business units, and local site functions; partners with company leadership to establish an organizational culture that fosters positive safety behaviors and practices at all levels.
• Build an Institutional Biosafety Program with an emphasis on viral safety especially related to personnel and products
• Ensures objectives are in alignment with current best practices for occupational health and environmental health and safety, and with enterprise priorities.
• Champions EHS values, provides leadership that connects with front-line employees, and mentors the local EHS team and committees to support expertise development.
• Promotes EHS technical knowledge within the corporation and leads the local EHS team in providing compliance and operational expertise to the organization’s leadership and their team members.
• Lead workers’ compensation risk management services including the development of risk improvement strategies.
• Establish Case Management processes and methodologies to manage workplace injuries.
• Lead hazard and risk assessments to proactively identify areas of opportunity and support the implementation of necessary controls. Facilitate internal/external audits against recognized standards.
• Works in conjunction with Protective Services, the Site Leadership Team and the business to spearhead efforts related to the development and execution of policies and procedures associated with Emergency Response, Business Continuity Plans and Disaster Recovery Plans
• Establishes and promotes a Behavioral based safety program and culture.
• Ensures the company meets or exceeds requirements established by government and regulatory agencies and serves as primary local site contact with regulatory agencies on matters of Environment, Health & Safety.
• Maintains tracking and reports data on safety and environmental performance, trends, compliance, significant incidents, and other key performance indicators.
• Collaborates and communicates effectively with stakeholders to identify needs and evaluate alternative technical solutions and strategies.
• Develops and implements site- specific programs, training/education, and policies/procedures, aligned with enterprise direction, which create a proactive approach to safety and promote continuous improvement in safety-related indicators.
• Partners with Finance to develop, monitor annual EHS budget; manages monthly planning and achievement.
• Manages Occupational Hygiene and health related programs.
• Supervises investigations of incidents/near misses and determine corrective action plans; exercises judgement and takes decisive actions/appropriate actions as needed.
• Acts as or appoints a designate as the officer/administrator of the following programs:
- Institutional Biosafety
- Respirator Program
- Worker Compensation
- Noise Conservation Program
- Confined Space Program
- Vaccination Coordinator
- Hazardous Spill Response
- The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline (prefer Environmental Sciences, Occupational Health, Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, or Industrial Hygiene) and minimum of 10 years of experience strongly preferred in a fast paced multiproduct or CDMO environment. Will give consideration to an equivalent level of education, experience, and skills.
• Health & Safety and/or Environmental certification/designation preferred.
• Demonstrated ability in successfully building and leading teams and developing talent.
• Develops and maintains good relationships, gains the confidence of others and works effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix environment; previous experience working in a matrixed environment is considered an asset.
• Must have the ability to tailor communications to all levels in the Emergent organization and prepare appropriate updates to senior management and executive management; must have effective communication skills for ‘upward’, ‘downward,’ and to external audiences.
• Strategic thinker with creative and excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
• Resilient self-starter, who can act independently and learn quickly within a rapidly evolving environment.
• Excellent analytical skills and ability to critically interpret and use data to manage risk.
• High attention to detail and accuracy with a strong commitment to business ethics.
• Knowledge in the technical fundamentals of safety management and risk assessments and reduction, including machinery & process safety, industrial hygiene, loss prevention, ergonomics, and occupational health.
• Strong understanding of Disability Management & Return to Work programs and policies.
• Experience working within the privacy framework and maintaining confidentiality of health data and protecting worker’s right to privacy.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.