Sr. Medical Science Liaison
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Sr. Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is part of a field-based team within the Medical Affairs Department at Emergent BioSolutions and plays an important role in establishing, cultivating, and maintaining relationships with Key Opinion Leaders (KOL), pharmacists, nurses, first responders, payers and other stakeholders to deliver clinical, pharmacoeconomic, and technical education in the opioid antidote therapeutic area. The Sr. MSL is responsible for leveraging his or her scientific background, industry knowledge, and business acumen to engage in appropriate, fair and balanced communication with KOLs in an assigned territory supporting research initiatives, advisory boards, publications, education, and other scientific activities to support Medical Affairs initiatives. Further, the Sr. MSL will provide product and pipeline therapeutic area expertise to address KOLs and Healthcare Professionals (HCPs) inquiries and serving as a scientific expert to internal stakeholders. The Sr. Medical Science Liaison will work close with the Director Medical Affairs to develop and collaborate with other field-based personnel to ensure that Emergent maintains a strong clinical and scientific presence in the field. The role will report to the Director Medical Affairs.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Develop long-term & valued relationships with key healthcare providers and key decision makers as they relate to the opioid antidote therapeutic area
• Foster and identification of key opportunities for scientific growth and medical evidence generation for the support of current approved and pipeline products
• Develop strategic engagement plans that align with medical strategy
• Provide relevant, unbiased medical and scientific information to meet the unique needs of each customer
• Provide high quality presentations to various audiences and engage in strategic discussions as it relates to medical, clinical, epidemiologic, and HEOR data to HCPs, first responders, government stakeholders, researchers, policy makers, managed markets, medical directors, hospital decision makers, formulary committees, pharmacists to advance understanding of the therapeutic area
• Serve as medical and scientific resource to KOLs, HCPs, first responders, payers, managed markets, and others reactively responding to medical inquiries
• Facilitate development of scientific materials to support scientific exchange aligned with medical strategy
• Capture, share and identify insights from various engagement activities
• Attend and share insights from key medical/scientific congresses
• Compliantly respond to unsolicited requests regarding medical inquires or interests in IIS, study support, grant request, and facilitate submissions through internal processes while liaising with investigator
• Facilitation of company sponsored research initiatives at the direction Medical Affairs leadership
• Assume a leadership role by teaching, coaching, and mentoring new hire MSLs
• Communicate Emergent’s value and mission to key stakeholders
• Work cross-functionally with internal teams and departments to provide scientific support as needed
• Undertake various medical affairs projects as assigned by Medical Affairs leadership
• Ensure and maintain compliance with all company policies, laws, industry, and regulatory requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• Advanced scientific or clinical/medical degree required (MD, DO, PharmD, PhD) plus significant experience in medical affairs activities
• 3-5 years of experience as Sr. Medical Science Liaison (preferred)
• Clinical experience in pain, addiction, emergency medicine is preferred
• Robust experience in KOL management activities
• Knowledge of the geography and KOLs (preferred)
• Strong scientific knowledge as well as excellent presentation and teaching skills.
• Working understanding of pharmaceutical industry compliance, PhRMA code, FDA guidance on advertising and promotion of prescription drug and medical devices
• Experience with managed markets and delivery of presentations to payer groups
• Ability to interpret and communicate scientific data to various audiences
• Experience facilitating research projects and IME requests
• Self-starter with a strong team orientation
• Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, work independently with minimal supervision
• Strong work ethic
• Proven ability to collaborate and make connections with both internal and external stakeholders
• Ability to manage a demanding schedule, and be flexible with evolving priorities
• Strong overall written, verbal, interpersonal communication skills, customer focus and emotional intelligence
• 2+ years’ experience using standard tools of field-based employees (CRM, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook, MS Teams)
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.