Sr Project Manager, Global Capital Project Delivery
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
Responsible for capital (fixed asset) project management of major expansion capital projects at multiple global locations in support of the company’s portfolio of capital projects. Leads local site Project Delivery and Engineering Teams, Customers, and Stakeholders from inception through execution and in concert with the Operational Readiness Lead for hand over to operations. Influences the governance of the company’s portfolio of capital (fixed asset) projects and drives continuous improvement in capital management processes. Provides engineering expertise as an input to capital and business development project decisions.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Manages all aspects of capital project delivery from inception to customer hand off following the Capital Management Process Guidelines
- Leads complex major capital projects and initiatives for various stakeholders and clients using cross-functional project teams
- Develops and formalizes project management plans to ensure controls are in place throughout project life cycle
- Responsible for coordination of all project team and technical activities on assigned projects
- Recognize and responds to technical problems
- Facilitates and participates in the development of design and equipment RFPs, design packages and specifications, and design document reviews
- Defines and supports resourcing of capital project teams to deliver agreed project scopes
- Manages external vendors and contractors used in the delivery of capital projects
- Assists in the identification of user requirements and development of business case
- Coordinates the development of project scopes and aligns expectations with the project team applying appropriate standards, guidelines, and regulations.
- Establishes, monitors, maintains, and reports on project work breakdown structures and schedules
- Establishes cost baseline, facilitates capital expenditure (CapEx) stage gate funding requests, and monitors and reports on baseline using forecasting tools and earned value management
- Performs variance analysis and makes recommendations for change, to ensure scope, cost, schedule, and quality commitments are met
- Supports the identification and formalization required for communication flows to project stakeholders, including team members, management, program and functional organizations
- Assists in various project risk assessments, by applying standard project risk techniques and develops risk registers and mitigation/response plans. Uses engineering knowledge to make recommendations to project stakeholders to minimize project risk
- Guides the selection process of goods and services for the project
- Assists in governance of the company’s capital project portfolio
- Prepares and presents project status updates and briefings to project teams, project governance committees, or other stakeholders for purpose of communicating project(s) status, identifying issues, escalations, and soliciting guidance for resolution
- Supports the deployment of harmonized capital management processes across the company
- Performs reviews on completed projects to drive continuous improvement in the capital delivery process
- Supports performance audits of local capital teams against the Capital Management Process guideline
- Provides engineering expertise to capital and business development project decisions
- Exercise judgment and leadership while approaching projects and ensure that the project deliverables align with long term Site and Corporate goals.
- Supports development of capital cost opinions for valuation of projects
- Provides feedback and project data into a database of project costs for benchmarking
- Improves the Engineering organization by influencing adoption of best practices and developing the Engineering talent pool
- Coaches and mentors’ members of the project team
- Routinely shares best practices for capital delivery across the organization
- Supports Manufacturing Operations initiatives to harmonize and optimize business processes and practices
- Maintains strong external connections in the Pharmaceutical Engineering community through attendance at conferences and presentations and publications
- Routine travel to global locations required, with location and frequency dependent on project needs.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in a biopharmaceutical environment in an engineering related role, and 6 years managing capital projects
• Experience in FDA current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), European Medicines Agency, and other regulatory requirements relating to biologic and drug products.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, with a preference for Chemical or Mechanical disciplines
• Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) and/or Project Management Professional Certification (PMP) a plus
• Must have prior experience managing large, complex capital projects. Preferably more than $5-10 million
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to build rapport and maintain constructive working relationships with individuals at various geographic locations and at all levels of an organization quickly and effectively
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.