Senior Associate, Upstream Cell Culture
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The primary focus for this position is upstream process development, including but not limited to cells freeze and thaw, media preparation, cell maintenance and passaging, cell culture process optimization, scale up and bioreactor operation, transient transfection or infection optimization, and primary cell harvest. Documentation of these activities is also required, including recording in lab notebooks, drafting SOPs and batch records, writing development and technical reports.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform mammalian cell cultures in shake flasks, T-flasks, CellSTACKs, rockers and bioreactors. Prepare media and monitor cell density, viability etc.
- Evaluate, develop and optimize the process parameters for upstream mammalian cell culture.
- Operate related equipment such as incubators, microscope, cell counter, Nova analyzer.
- Operate bioreactors, rockers, filters and others.
- Troubleshooting the issues related to cell culture process development.
- Use DOE software to design the experiment and analyze the results.
- Plan and execute experiment carefully to meet the study timeline.
- Contribute ideas and show leadership in a team setting.
- Write development reports and tech transfer reports, draft SOPs and batch records.
- Work with vendors or CRO’s to evaluate materials, equipment and to review development reports.
- Minimal travel may be required to support manufacture activities.
Minimum Education, Experience and Skills
- B.S. degree in biochemistry, bioengineering, chemical/biochemical engineering or a related field with 2-5 years' relevant industry experience, or M.S. with at least 2 years’ industry experience.
- Minimum of 2 years direct experience in the mammalian cell culture.
- Good aseptic technique is a must.
- Mammalian cell culture experience with various adherent cells and suspention cells such as Vero, HEK293, CHO cells is required.
- Prior experiences with transient transfection and viral infection are preferred.
- Design of Experiment (DoE) experience is necessary.
- Bioreactor (small scale and large scale) experience is preferred.
- Experience with depth filtration and ultrafiltration/dialfiltration is plus.
- Engineering knowledge/hands on experience with equipment troubleshooting is preferred.
- Must have good data analysis skills.
- Must be a team player and quick learner.
- cGMP experience is preferred.
- Good writing skills and communication skills.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.