Cell Culture Scientist, Upstream Bioprocessing
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
This position will focus on upstream process development and work as part of the team to lead the efforts for developing and optimizing cell culture process including media development, feeding strategies, process parameters optimization, process characterization and scale-up for large scale production to support vaccine development from preclinical through Phase III, and commercialization. The main responsibilities will include the design, execution, and documentation of experiments to develop phase-appropriate upstream processes (bioreactor, transfection, infection, microfiltration, filtration) for clinical supply production, and further optimize/scale up these processes to enable transfer of robust processes to the commercial space.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and optimize the cell culture parameters (for various cell lines) and nutrient requirement in shaker flasks and disposable bioreactors (10L, 50L and 200L) for mammalian suspension cell growth for virus or virus like particle production.
- Develop and optimize the virus-like-particle transient transfection or viral infection process to maximize the yield.
- Use DOE software to design the experiment, analyze the results for the virus or virus-like-particle yield improvement.
- Write technical reports and transfer the method and work with clinical production team to support/generate the SOPs/batch record and produce the clinical trial materials.
- Support investigational new drug (IND) chemistry-manufacturing-control (CMC) section writing.
- Analyze data and interpret results. Present and discuss results of experiments with the department and project teams.
- Participate on cross-functional project teams and coordinate intradepartmental research efforts.
- Guide/train junior level associates.
- Work with a high degree of independence to lead R&D projects and contribute to project planning.
- Maintain high level of scientific expertise through familiarity with current scientific literature
Minimum Education, Experience and Skills
- Degree in biology, bioengineering, chemical/biochemical engineering or a related field. PhD with minimal 2 years' relevant experience, or M.S. with 8 years or B.S. with 10 years relevant experiences.
- Minimum of 2 years direct experience in the mammalian cell culture.
- Good aseptic technique is a must.
- Mammalian cell culture experience with various adherent cells and suspention cells such as Vero, HEK293, CHO cells is required.
- Prior experiences with transient transfection and viral infection are preferred.
- Design of Experiment (DoE) experience is necessary.
- Bioreactor (small scale and large scale) experience is required.
- Experience with process characterization and validation is plus.
- Experience with depth filtration and ultrafiltration/diafiltration is plus.
- Engineering knowledge/hands on experience with equipment troubleshooting is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with operating in regulated GCLP laboratory environments.
- cGMP experience is plus.
- Excellent understanding of scientific methods and statistical analysis.
- Ability to analyze complex data and reach valid scientific conclusions.
- Excellent verbal and technical writing skills.
- Capable of searching scientific literature to gain information about specific topics.
- Plan project tasks effectively, prioritize, keep to timeline, and multi-task.
- Ability to prepare and present research results to medium and large groups both internally and externally.
- Demonstrated ability to think independently, contribute and collaborate with cross functional project teams, troubleshoot effectively, and solve complex technical issues.
- Flexible and cooperative spirit with strong commitment to team efforts.
- Highly self-motivated, with excellent organizational skills and critical-thinking skills.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.