Director, State Policy and Government Affairs, U.S.
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL’s therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
This role will develop and implement strategies that optimize the state and local policy environment for Seqirus US market, supporting the success of the business and achieving business goals for influenza vaccination. This position will represent Seqirus in matters of state and local legislation, regulations, or rules that have an impact on the company, and drive favorable resolutions. The Director must anticipate state and local legislation and immunization policy trends and emerging issues in order proactively shape the environment. The position will develop relationships with policymakers, regulators, patient advocates, public policy groups, associations, and other stakeholders and drive their engagement on key immunization policy issues. This role will be part of the US Policy and Government Affairs team, working closely with the Director of Federal Policy and Government Affairs, and the Director of Public Health Policy, reporting to the Head of US Policy and Government Affairs. The role will partner with the US Commercial Operations team and work closely the Medical Affairs and Communications teams, and other cross-functional partners.Major Responsibilities:
- Monitors state and local political and public policy environment to identify opportunities and threats, emerging trends, and key stakeholders that may impact Seqirus US operations
- Develops and executes a comprehensive advocacy strategy to shape state legislative and public policy activity and deliver on business priorities. This includes direct lobbying, trade association management, and engagement of third-party groups and coalitions.
- Identifies and develops relationships, networks and alliances with immunization policy stakeholders including advocacy groups and professional societies, to drive a multi-state influenza policy agenda.
- Works and communicates frequently with cross-functional teams to develop and execute action plans, utilizing advocacy and immunization policy, to support a multi-state VFC strategy for Seqirus’ products.
- In collaboration with the US policy group, develops and implements strategies to shape policy outcomes that support differentiation, vaccine uptake, and pandemic readiness in the US.
- Develops engagement plans for key national groups affecting state immunization policy (AIM, ASTHO, NACCHO, etc.). Work closely with Federal Government Affairs to manage the intersection of state and national politics, policy, lawmakers, and associations.
- Partners with US Medical Affairs on external engagement including KOL’s, ACIP liaisons, Departments of Health, Immunization coalitions and medical societies
- Aligns activities with Regional Public health Account Management team to prioritize opportunities and threats in individual states.
- Partners with US policy team on development of relevant submissions, position papers and policy materials tailored to the US environment, coordinating input from internal experts.
- Ensures compliance with industry Codes and the Seqirus approval process for grants, submissions, presentations and other materials used in policy outreach.
- Represents Seqirus at industry organizations and advocacy initiatives at the state and local level.
- Coordinates, oversees and reviews the work of consultants to ensure desired quality and scope of work is met.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in political science, public policy, public healthor MBA/JD would be an advantage.
- Minimum 10+ years’ experience in advocacy, policy and government affairs roles in the vaccines sector, preferably in large, complex organizations and in government. Additional experience in professional societies and advocacy groups would be advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate across a matrixed organization and drive outstanding commercial results through effective policy and advocacy strategies.
- Deep knowledge and nuanced understanding of the US vaccines landscape and related advocacy ecosystem, the healthcare environment in the US, and the workings of US governments.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to grasp the implications and act on complex and multi-dimensional issues that impact the vaccines industry and Seqirus.
- Well-established stakeholder relationships and networks with key decision makers, opinion leaders and advocacy groups in the influenza community in US.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills with the ability to represent and speak on behalf of Seqirus in high level meetings and in public fora.
- Excellent organizational, planning and project management skills involving cross functional teams.