Sr. Manager Payroll
Amgen is seeking a Senior Manager of Payroll who will work in our People Services group. The Senior Manager will report to the Director of People Services and will work out of Amgens Capability Center in Tampa, FL. At Amgen, our mission is simple: to serve patients. Our new Tampa Capability Center provides essential services that enable us to better pursue this mission. This state-of-the-art center serves as a base for finance, information systems, and human resources professionals to make a meaningful impact at one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies.
The Senior Manager of Payroll will be the functional owner of payroll processing, timekeeping, and payroll tax for U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico. The position is committed toward continuous improvements in accuracy, efficiency, process improvement initiatives and service levels. In addition, this position develops and executes a vision for future systems including project implementation and monitoring. Other key areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, all aspects of staff management for the payroll team including hiring, goal setting and performance management, financial SOX controls and being an expert in compliance.
The People Services group is intended to provide a more cohesive service delivery model. Our service scope includes a wide array of staff touching services ranging from; HR Staff Services, Stock and Benefits Administration, HR Technology and Mobility among several others. By bringing these services and activities together under one organization, the People Services team aims to improve collaboration, share best practices, innovate and streamline processes in these areas for the entire enterprise.
Key Activities For The Senior Manager Include
- Manages payroll and timekeeping vendors including performance monitoring, Service Level Agreements (SLAs), and metrics.
- Partners with external advisors as well as internal teams to ensure that executive compensation, benefits, long-term incentives and international compensation is properly captured in payroll records.
- Acts as the Process Owner for at least one SOX process to include ownership of process documentation (policies, procedures and risk / control documentation) and testing of controls on a quarterly basis to validate operating effectiveness.
- Identifies key and/or recurring issues, and works to resolve through training, configuration, system upgrades and/or policy and procedural solutions.
- Interacts with internal and external auditors for audits of payroll area.
- Initiates and controls efforts and procedures to maintain data integrity.
- Provides payroll and other related records, assists in preparing documentation and responses for legal inquiries, litigation and court appearances.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, review professional publications, establish personal networks and participate in professional societies.
Doctorate degree and 2 years ofpayroll experience
Masters degree and 6 years of payroll experience
Bachelors degree and 8 years ofpayroll experience
Associates degree and 10 years of payroll experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years ofpayroll experience
2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- 10+ years experience with payroll function with time spent leading the implementation of new Payroll Systems
- 5+ years experience leading/managing teams
- Proficient with ADP EV5 and Kronos Time Keeping System
- Experience with Workday Payroll and Time & Absence Management System
- Experience with signing off on SOX processes, streamlining pay codes, garnishments, and SUI claims
- Experience with International Payroll (Canada and/or Puerto Rico)
- Experience working with any of the following systems and / or vendors: Workday HCM, Merrill Lynch Benefits, ServiceNow, and Conduent benefits processing
- Strong subject matter expertise in Payroll along with strong working knowledge of other areas within Staff Services (i.e. HR Service Center, Stock Administration, and Benefits Administration)
- Experience working in a staff services area with a large (10K+ employees) employer setting
- Familiarity with multi-national public company employee taxation and stock compensation issues including taxation of compensation earned on international assignments
- Experience managing teams that are based in international locations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable presenting to senior leadership as well as larger groups
- Must be able to manage difficult payroll situations with Team Members, provide exceptional customer service, deal sensitively with confidential information, and work with a high degree of professionalism and with a strong work ethic.
- Professional certifications in Accounting, Payroll or Human Resources
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment, and inclusion in all that we do. We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.