Associate Scientist / Senior Research Associate, Molecular Engineering
Fate Therapeutics is currently seeking a talented and highly motivated molecular biologist with strong genetic engineering background to join a multidisciplinary R&D team for developing stem cell derived off-the-shelf immunotherapies. The candidate will be responsible for the design, engineering, and optimization of multiple genetically modified cell types including induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) lines used for derivation of cell therapy products. The candidate will also help develop and validate novel engineering modalities to support Fates fast-growing preclinical pipeline. The position will require strong independent and collaborative research abilities, and excellent oral and written communication skills. This is a full-time hands-on research position reporting to a Senior Scientist and is located at Fates corporate headquarters in San Diego, CA.
- Design, generate, and produce DNA constructs using standard cloning techniques including ligation and assembly
- Generate stable/clonal genetically modified iPSC lines with comprehensive molecular and phenotypic characterization
- Perform lentivirus production and characterization by titration using Flow cytometry.
- Genetic editing/engineering of various cell populations including iPSC, using lentiviral transduction, CRISPR engineering, or other desirable editing platforms.
- Establish assays to characterize genetically engineered iPSCs to support early product characterization
- Communicate research and development findings in cross-disciplinary team meetings as well as with external partners
- BS/MS degree in a biological science field and minimum of 4 years of relevant experience in academia or industry
- Extensive experiences in molecular cloning, vector construction, transfection and viral transduction, and transgene expression
- Demonstrated expertise in cutting edge gene editing technologies, including gRNA design, donor template building, cleavage efficiency assays, genomic integration analysis, etc.
- Prior flow cytometry and immunology experience, including T cell and NK cell biology and chimeric antigen receptors, is preferred
- Prior stem cell experience including iPSC is preferred
- Excellent collaborative experience, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience in working with cGMP compliant/quality-controlled procedures is a plus
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Will require working with blood and cell lines of human and animal origin
- Will require working with hazardous materials
- 100% on-site work at corporate headquarters in San Diego, CA
- Occasional evening and weekend work will be required
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. Additional and incidental duties related to the primary duties may be required.
About Fate Therapeutics, Inc.
Fate Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the development of first-in-class cellular immunotherapies for patients with cancer. The Company has established a leadership position in the clinical development and manufacture of universal, off-the-shelf cell products using its proprietary induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) product platform. The Company’s immuno-oncology pipeline includes off-the-shelf, iPSC-derived natural killer (NK) cell and T-cell product candidates, which are designed to synergize with well-established cancer therapies, including immune checkpoint inhibitors and monoclonal antibodies, and to target tumor-associated antigens using chimeric antigen receptors (CARs). Fate Therapeutics is headquartered in San Diego, CA. For more information, please visit www.fatetherapeutics.com.