Senior Scientist / Scientist, Process Development (Upstream)
Fate Therapeutics is seeking a skilled and highly motivated cell biologist to join our companys Upstream Process Development team to support the companys off-the-shelf cellular immunotherapy programs. The successful candidate will join a multidisciplinary team pursuing the development of iPSC-derived NK and T cell products for cellular therapeutic purposes. This role will be primarily responsible for supporting preclinical and IND-enabling activities including the development of robust iCD34 differentiation processes and process characterization. Candidates must have prior experience with iPSC culture and differentiation. This role will require close collaboration with internal PD, R&D, Manufacturing, and Analytical Development teams. This is a full-time position reporting to a Senior Scientist, Process Development, and is located at our corporate headquarters in San Diego, California.
- Design, execute, and analyze experiments to develop and refine the parameters for iPSC expansion and iCD34 differentiation for iPSC-derived NK and T cell product manufacturing
- Identify critical process parameters and develop strategies aimed at improving robustness of Fates manufacturing platforms
- Evaluate and implement new technologies for specific manufacturing processes, as appropriate
- Perform troubleshooting and root cause analysis experiments to support clinical productions
- Collaborate with the Manufacturing team to identify potential process improvements and design appropriate experiments to evaluate and implement those changes
- Perform characterization of stage-specific processes utilizing flow cytometry, FACS sorting, gene expression profiling, and media analysis
- Collect, organize, and analyze data in a timely manner and in accordance with company policy
- Design and execute experimental plans to achieve project goals within a given time constraint
- Independently design experiments and lead a small team in execution and data analysis
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to drive programs forward to meeting program goals (including IND submission, CMC amendments, initiation of manufacturing, etc)
- Present data to Process Development team, program-specific teams, and the bigger R&D group.
- Ph.D. in stem cell biology, developmental biology, immunology or closely related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience in an academic, biotech, or pharmaceutical setting
- Prior experience in Process Development or Manufacturing setting is a plus
- Proficiency with aseptic techniques for mammalian cell culture
- Extensive experience with multi-color flow cytometry data acquisition and manual analysis using FlowJo
- Excellent data organization and analysis using Prism or Spotfire
- Working knowledge of statistical and analytical tools, such as JMP, is preferred
- Strong attention-to-detail, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently, multi-task, and work effectively in a dynamic and fast- paced setting
- Positive outlook, willingness to learn and test new ideas, and a desire to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Prior experience managing direct reports
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Will require working with cell lines of human origin
- May require working with rodent models
- 100% on-site work at corporate headquarters in San Diego, CA
- Evening and weekend work will be required
The preceding job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. Additional and incidental duties related to the primary duties may be required.
About Fate Therapeutics, Inc.
Fate Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company dedicated to the development of first-in-class cellular immunotherapies for patients with cancer. The Company has established a leadership position in the clinical development and manufacture of universal, off-the-shelf cell products using its proprietary induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) product platform. The Company’s immuno-oncology pipeline includes off-the-shelf, iPSC-derived natural killer (NK) cell and T-cell product candidates, which are designed to synergize with well-established cancer therapies, including immune checkpoint inhibitors and monoclonal antibodies, and to target tumor-associated antigens using chimeric antigen receptors (CARs). Fate Therapeutics is headquartered in San Diego, CA. For more information, please visit www.fatetherapeutics.com.