Director, Process Safety & Design
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Want to make a global impact? We offer that
Lead a high performing international team? We offer that too
At AbbVie, our strength lies in our team of experts who conduct ground-breaking science on a global scale every day. In choosing your career & life path, choose to be extraordinary!
We are excited to be recruiting a Director, Process Safety and Design to join our Global Engineering leadership team. In this role, you will be a key leader and globally recognised Subject Matter Expert - sharing your knowledge and expertise to ensure that we deliver best in class process safety in the projects that we execute and throughout our global manufacturing network. As one of the leading Top Employers globally, we have a strong employee-focused foundation and, in this role, you will be expected to bring new ideas, industry best practices and innovative solutions so that we are continuously ensuring our manufacturing facilities operate at the highest standards of process safety.
Are you intrigued? Do you want to learn more?
Working with the Regional Vice Presidents and Site Directors, you will lead deep dive reviews of Process Safety in the design phase of our capital projects and at our manufacturing sites, challenging the status quo to ensure that all potential process safety failure modes have been assessed, safeguards identified, and recommendations implemented.
A snapshot of your key responsibilities as Director, Process Safety and Design are:
• You will be a trusted partner, providing Manufacturing Leadership with regular reports on the Process Safety status of the sites and current Process Safety Management (PSM) related issues.
• Successfully engaging globally across all manufacturing sites, collaborating with site leadership to create defined timelines for the implementation of process safety recommendations. You will have joint responsibility with Site Directors to ensure that all timelines are achieved.
• With your team, you will be accountable to drive global network Process Hazard Analysis (PHA) efforts, capital project design reviews, process safety training and other process safety initiatives.
• Design, develop, implement and monitor the process safety roadmap for the global network with an overarching focus to drive standardized processes, reduce risk, eliminate failure modes and ensure global compliance.
• Leveraging your background in Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field, combined with your experience to successfully implement a robust Process Safety program across the network and provide support for all sites on process safety related issues.
• Drive continuous improvement culture across the network. Be a visible leader for AbbVie’s Zero. Believe it. Achieve it.(ZBA) philosophy.
• Collaborating globally to build and maintain strong knowledge of process safety concepts and standards.
• Maintain currency of best industrial practices, Best Available Technologies (BAT), and trends. Share this knowledge with peers and leadership.
• Lead all process safety reviews, during design and start up for all major capital projects across the global network. Provide input for Requests for Capital Expenditure (RCE) to ensure that significant safety and environmental aspects for key technical programs are properly integrated during the Front-End Planning design process for new product introduction, product-transfer from site to site, and changes to existing processes and equipment.
• Fully lead the hazard screening process for Tech transfers and New Product Introductions.
• Support the process safety element of on-site audits to ensure compliance with applicable standards and policies, adoption of industrial best practices to identify and manage risk, and conformance to company directives.
• Identify and collect site process safety metricsand develop network dashboard to measure progress.
So, what do you need to do this role?
• You will have a Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Chemical Engineering, or other technical field preferably in life sciences or engineering
• Experience leading and coaching a diverse team to success, adapting your leadership style as needed to excel
• Ability to partner with, influence and guide decision making at global senior leadership level
• 10+ years’ experience in the pharmaceutical and/or chemical industries in manufacturing environment
• Demonstrated experience in a technical safety discipline such as Potent Compounds/Occupational Hygiene (OH), chemical and process safety with deep knowledge of Chemical Safety and GHS classification
There will be up to 40% travel with this role due to the global nature of the position.
So, are you ready to take on this role?
It’s important to remember, AbbVie is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer; we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop innovative solutions for patients and being part of an inclusive work environment
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.