Associate Director, Manufacturing
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Business Unit Leader-
The Business Unit Leader position reports to the Manufacturing Site Director/ Plant Manager and sits on the Manufacturing Site Leadership team. The Business Unit Leader provides leadership for multiple manufacturing areas at AbbVie Bioresearch Center (ABC) in Worcester, MA. The Business Unit Leader directs manufacturing managers, supervisors and technicians across multiple shifts in diverse functional areas including Cell Culture and Purification at scales ranging from 1000 L single-use to 3,000 L stainless steel. The Business Unit Leader is responsible for the Antibody Drug Conjugation (ADC) Suite operation and Cell Banking Suite Operations for all manufacturing programs. The BU leader is accountable for production, quality, safety and financial performance of the operation, which includes commercial and clinical manufacturing for AbbVie and third-party products. The BU leader is responsible for directing plant manufacturing activities and achieving key performance metrics. This position plays a key role in policy/procedure establishment impacting operations areas including, biologics production, quality systems, materials management, cost management and new product introductions. The BU leader interfaces with Process Sciences, Manufacturing Sciences, Engineering, Quality and other internal and external stakeholders to drive performance. The BU leader collaborates with other Business Unit Leaders that are responsible for other manufacturing areas and support functions. The BU leader is responsible for driving the effectiveness and compliance of the manufacturing areas, delivering world-class customer service, complying with all regulatory requirements and promoting the AbbVie Culture of high performance for all employees.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Set, direct and control all operational and financial goals and objectives for a 40+ person manufacturing department including: cell culture and purification operations, ADC operations, cell banking operations.
• Drive and lead the manufacturing area to meet the site business strategies and is accountable for operating expenses, payroll and capital expenditures for manufacturing area projects and programs.
• Develop and implement strategies for state of the art processes that improve the quality of products and reduces cost of manufacturing.
• Assist teams in troubleshooting manufacturing issues. Provide technical leadership and training to efficiently produce the highest quality products.
• Collaborate with other Manufacturing leaders to drive continuous improvement across the organization.
• With staff and input from other organizations, able to synthesize action plans, timelines and budgets for project and product goals.
• Develop and manage staff through hiring, managing performance, developing talent and providing clear expectations.
• Ensure all labor and equipment performance measures are met. Responsible for completing established goals, prioritizing project work and controlling and coordinating all activities and improvement efforts across manufacturing areas.
• Manage the employee relations climate to ensure that our AbbVie Way is realized and an environment exists where all employees have the opportunity to develop to their maximum potential.
• Coach the managers, supervisors and technicians in the area and establish clear expectations with them regarding responsibilities, goals and behaviors and champion and model exceptional AbbVie performance and talent management practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in a technical field: Master’s Degree preferred.
- 10+years biologics experience including: work as an individual contributor building technical expertise and proven project management skills. Progressively increased responsibility and performance as supervisor, department manager and leader of diverse teams in multiple areas of operations( Manufacturing, Quality, Process or Manufacturing Sciences, CMC project management, Supply chain , Engineering etc)
- Demonstrated technical leadership in biologics processes
- Demonstrated history of successfully identifying and implementing Continuous Improvement and Change Management programs to improve business processes, operational performance and drive efficiency
- Business acumen coupled with functional leadership experience is required to ensure strong leadership and direction to a complex operation.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.