Director, Corporate Development
DIRECTOR, CORPORATE DEVELOPMENT
The Director of Corporate Development will be responsible for identifying, evaluating, and recommending external programs, assets, and companies for potential partnership and/or acquisition by GBT. This role will work with and lead teams comprised of multiple functions, including research, development, manufacturing, commercial, legal and finance in order to assess and conduct due diligence of external opportunities. As appropriate, the Director of Corporate Development will also lead or support drafting and negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements with external parties. This role will help shape corporate strategy, have high visibility across the organization, and will have substantial interactions with the GBT senior management team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze and perform scientific, clinical and regulatory assessments of external programs, assets, and companies
- Coordinate and perform due diligence assessments; drive cross-functional teams to an assessment of assets
- Summarize and recommend opportunities to GBT senior management team
- Lead and/or support negotiations of term sheets and contracts
- Lead and/or support out-licensing and other partnership efforts, as appropriate
- Coordinate the annual strategic planning process (Portfolio Review) and supporting strategic discussions with senior management team and Board
- Regularly network with and develop relationships with prospective partners while evaluating opportunities at medical and business development conferences
- Build relationships with KOLs with expertise in disease areas of interest
- Regularly meet with venture capital groups, investment banks, and other sources of deal flow
- Continuously update knowledge of industry pipeline in disease areas of interest to GBT
- BS in biology or chemistry; advanced degree in the life sciences strongly preferred (e.g., MD, PhD)
- 8+ years progressive experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry; 6+ years of experience in biopharma business/corporate development, management consulting or venture capital
- Track record of successfully supporting or leading strategic collaboration and in-licensing agreements including leading due diligence processes and supporting or leading negotiations
- Experience in evaluating and synthesizing the key scientific, technical, and regulatory risks and opportunities for preclinical and clinical stage programs
- Demonstrated ability to build rapport with functional area leaders. Ability to build consensus between multiple internal/external partners, functions, and stakeholders
- Demonstrated project management skills with attention to detail and follow-up skills.
- Strong, analytical, quantitative and creative problem skills
- Knowledge of specialty and/or orphan disease areas; specialty hematology preferred.
- Knowledgeable about the scientific, clinical/regulatory aspects of drug discovery and development
- Both detail-oriented and highly proficient in synthesizing at high level
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Thrives in entrepreneurial, unstructured environment
Fit with GBT culture:
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor
- Values-based leadership consistent with GBT's Core Values
- Excitement about the vision and mission of GBT
NOTE: This position summary is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Global Blood Therapeutics is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.