Senior/Executive Director, Human Resources
Flagship Pioneering conceives, creates, resources, and develops first-in-category life sciences companies to transform human health and sustainability. Since its launch in 2000, the firm has applied a unique hypothesis-driven innovation process to originate and foster more than 100 scientific ventures, resulting in over $30 billion in aggregate value. To date, Flagship is backed by >$3 billion of aggregate capital commitments, of which over $1.4 billion has been deployed toward the founding and growth of its pioneering companies alongside >$10 billion of follow-on investments from other institutions. The current Flagship ecosystem includes Denali Therapeutics (NASDAQ: DNLI), Evelo Biosciences (NASDAQ: EVLO), Moderna Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRNA), Rubius Therapeutics (NASDAQ: RUBY), Seres Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MCRB), and Syros Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ: SYRS).
The Senior/Executive Director of Human Resources will be a key member of the senior leadership team and will report to the CEO at our rapidly growing company. As an accomplished leader, she/he will drive HR-related strategy and execution to achieve specific business results. He/she will be responsible for building and strengthening the overall company culture, attracting, developing, inspiring, and retaining talent and acting as a business partner to Cygnal’s leadership team and as a coach to the broader management team. The ideal candidate will be a people-oriented, business-savvy and hands-on leader with the ability to effectively combine creativity and pragmatism.
- Define and execute Cygnal’s overall HR strategy to drive a culture of high employee engagement and success in alignment with our business strategy
- Serve as a strategic partner to the management team in the development of company plans and programs, advising on the potential impact on people and resources
- Coach managers at all levels on people and organizational development to positively influence workplace culture and employee development in alignment with our company values and objectives
- Direct and deliver outstanding services across the full spectrum of HR activities including recruiting, employee relations, benefits, performance management/talent management, compensation/total rewards management, learning and development and compliance
- Develop and implement short and long-range programs and initiatives to drive organizational effectiveness and professional development
- Continually assess the competitiveness and equity of all programs and practices against relevant companies in the Boston biopharma community
- Anticipate and plan for long-term human resource needs and trends - in partnership with business management
- Serve as a liaison to advise and consult on cross-functional policies and processes and facilitate relevant internal communication to employees and managers
- Define and monitor relevant metrics to proactively diagnose and address employment and operational related trends.
- 10-15+ years of progressively responsible and comprehensive experience including all areas of HR management, preferably in a combination of public and small (fewer than 250 employees) entrepreneurial environments. The ideal candidate will have a passion to lead and build an HR function which is proactive and results-oriented; thinks strategically and operates in a hands-on manner; possesses the highest integrity and a sense of urgency and is viewed as competent, trusted and with respect
- At least 5 years of experience leading HR strategy development and execution within a growing company in the biopharma industry
- Organizational Development training/experience in a growing, entrepreneurial environment
- Significant experience, competence, and passion for the full range of talent management: recruiting, performance management, and employee and organization development
- Outstanding communication and listening skills
- Hands-on style and capabilities needed to work with a growing group of talented employees within a focused and dynamic goal-driven organization; an attitude of “no job too big or too small” and a willingness to roll up her/his sleeves and get things done
- Ability to work effectively and smoothly with all levels within the organization, including members of the executive team
- Confidence, experience and high comfort level working in a dynamic company and with a scientific and technical employee base
- Collaborative approach to problem solving and the ability to work effectively with individuals both internally and externally
- BA/BS Degree in Business Management, Human Resources or a related field; MBA or other relevant graduate training a plus; PHR /SPHR certification also a plus
- Knowledge of, and experience implementing, HR databases and HRIS a plus