Scientist/Sr. Scientist, Bioinformatics
Obsidian Therapeutics is pioneering engineered cell and gene therapies to deliver transformative outcomes for patients. Obsidian’s programs apply our CytoDriveTM technology in Cell and Gene therapy products to control expression of proteins for enhanced therapeutic efficacy and safety.
We’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. Our research team is based in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and our Technical Development and Manufacturing will soon be moving to a brand new facility in Bedford, MA to support our growth. Obsidianites enjoy a highly collaborative culture, competitive salary and benefits, and potential for ownership through stock options.
We are looking for a scientist with a strong background in bioinformatics / computational biology or related field to contribute to building Obsidian’s computational biology capabilities. The successful candidate will provide the high-level strategy for the computational and analytical framework and execution within the organization. Cloud-based data analysis pipelines, biomarker discovery, and preclinical statistical analyses to support research programs and the Discovery team’s functional screening platform are key responsibilities. This role will be highly-collaborative with other multi-disciplinary scientists, providing critical analytical support to help advance the Discovery team’s target identification, lead optimization, and platform development.
This is a unique opportunity to work in a well-funded early-stage company with blue chip investors, field-leading advisors, and a highly experienced team. You will help us build a dynamic, innovative, passionate, collaborative, and successful organization focused on delivering transformative therapies in areas of greatest clinical need.
- Lead and champion computational efforts associated with the Discovery and Research program efforts – analytical support for Discovery screening and biomarker discovery to support translational activities
- Identify datasets and implement computational methodologies needed to advance discovery and programmatic activities
- Collaborate effectively across the Obsidian organization to support ongoing research projects by contributing high-quality reports, analytical insights, requirements, workflows and presenting internally to project teams, management, and scientific teams
- Manage the execution of analyses for routine screening assays that use sequencing data by running, maintaining, and updating cloud-based analytical pipelines
- Partner cross-functionally to establish data management practices and drive data and analysis quality using quality-control measures
- Support ad hoc statistical design and analyses for research projects and programs
- Exercise standard code-management practices, while maintaining analytical documentation and study reports in Electronic Notebook entries
- PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics, Bioengineering, Computer Science or a related field with 3+ years of experience in industry, OR a MS degree in one of the above areas with requisite relevant work experience.
- Proficiency with commonly used programming languages for bioinformatics analysis, such as Python, R, and shell scripting.
- Proficiency with NGS data analysis tools and pipelines (QC, alignment, secondary data analysis, enrichment analysis)
- Proficiency with Unix-based systems, source version control (e.g. Git) and cloud computing environments and tools (e.g. AWS, Azure, docker)
- Highly collaborative working style with proven ability to work with general direction to meet objectives and timelines, adapting to changes and priorities in order to fulfill our mission
- Excellent communication skills
- Scientific curiosity, and a track record of self-directed learning
- Experience in cancer genomic data analysis along with familiarity of public databases (e.g., Ensembl, Hapmap, UCSC), tools (e.g., cBioPortal), and resources (e.g., CCLE, TCGA)
- Experience in gene and cell therapy
- Experience with ELN platforms (e.g., Benchling), relational databases and SQL
Obsidian is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, cultivating a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.