Senior Data Engineer II, BTS Operations
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Do you want to be involved in leading transformational change? The Operations Science & Technology team at our key Biologics facility in Worcester are on a journey to accelerate the advancement of our pipeline and support sustained manufacturing excellence through scientific and technical innovations. The Senior Data Engineer II will conceive, design, engineer, and implement data, software, and technology solutions that solve significant scientific or business problems. Key activities will be to investigate, identify, and implement state-of-the-art technology platforms that drive productivity and efficiency gains throughout multiple business areas, act as a lead engineer in his/her area of expertise and critically evaluate relevant technological advances and integrate this knowledge into new business technology solutions.
Conceive, design, engineer, and implement software and technology solutions by studying information needs; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Demonstrate high proficiency across a wide range of technologies and platforms related to software design and development, programming languages, data integration, data warehousing, data analysis and visualization tools, data storage, network connectivity, and virtualization/cloud environments.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the pharmaceutical and healthcare business, and utilize this knowledge in the rapid advancement of agile, impactful, and cost-effective solutions
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing activities, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor. Keeps key stakeholders informed through effective verbal and written communication.
- Seize opportunities to pursue relevant leads that are in line with the group’s strategy.
- Proactively contribute to advancement of own function by studying state-of-the-art tools, techniques, and computing equipment and incorporate into group’s strategy.
- May mentor/supervise a team of one or more and guide and evaluate the performance of those individuals; is accountable for the effective performance of the team/individuals.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies, including code of conduct, safety, GxP compliance, data security, and the software development lifecycle.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 7 years of experience, Master’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 6 years of experience. Work experience in the pharmaceutical industry preferred.
- Proven experience with database, data warehousing and/or data lake systems spanning efforts from basic data modelling to data operations. Proficiency in SQL required regardless of specific systems experience.
- Proficiency in a programming language used in data processing contexts (Python, Scala, Java, C#, etc) is required.
- Demonstrated experience connecting to and integrating data sources using multiple technologies (database connections, APIs, enterprise service buses, SDKs, flat files, etc).
- Proficiency with Business Intelligence tools with an emphasis on visualization (Spotfire, Tableau, Qlik, etc) is required with a familiarity with analytics functionality being desirable.
- Experience with ETL tools and/or data flow programming environments (KNIME, Pipeline Pilot, Apache NiFi) would be desirable.
- Experience with data related to and/or experience with scientific/laboratory systems (ELN, LIMS, CDS, SDMS, Data Historians, etc) is not required but is highly desirable.
- Experience with data governance, data quality and/or FAIR initiatives not required but highly desirable.
- Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own discipline.
- Proven implementation of creative technology solutions that advanced the business.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.