AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
This job is part of Finance Shared Services (FSS) organization, which was established as one of the key elements of new operating model for AbbVie to provide accurate financial accounting and reporting for all international affiliates. The FSS Accounting Lead plays a critical role in ensuring compliance with finance and accounting policies, coordination of month end close processes and ensuring integrity and accuracy of entity financials. This position works closely with a number of stakeholders across the organization to support financial decision-making process by collecting, analyzing, and reporting financial data.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Review changes to chart of accounts.
- Review key account reconciliations and drive improvement action plan.
- Assists with the month-end processes for businesses supported. Includes but not limited to reconciliation of actuals between HFM and SAP, process data uploads, journal entry preparation, balance sheet review for accuracy, draft variance commentary and submissions to business FP&A and Worldwide Consolidations.
- Assists with the preparation of monthly results for businesses supported, including collaboration with business FP&A to ensure complete and accurate results with meaningful variance commentary.
- Supports Sarbanes Oxley, Tax and Audit requests including documentation, internal audits, external audits, and intercompany billings for tax allocation purposes under guidance of direct Manager.
- Collaborates with and provides accounting services to business FP&A as primary customer.
- Assists with timely and accurate results to direct Manager.
- Review monthly balance sheet variances vs benchmark and provide commentary.
- Work closely with affiliate and Area on the creation and submission of the yearly Plan and Update for the balance sheet.
- Review financial and accounting analysis involving complex transactions including but not limited to fixed asset activity, intercompany activity, and cost allocations.
- Research and resolve discrepancies and technical accounting issues, as necessary.
- Work closely with personnel in all departments to ensure compliance with company accounting and operational guidelines as well as GAAP.
- Assist in audit preparation and any other projects assigned.
- Propose accounting treatment in line with Corporate policies for complex transactions.
- Work in close partnership with the Finance Director and Controller to ensure integrity of the ledgers and full compliance with Accounting Policies.
- Propose and implement initiatives aimed to improve efficiency and quality of the process.
- SAP & Accounting Systems
- Reconciliation Tool (Blackline preferred)
- MS Office
- Chart of Accounts
- SOX Policies
- Intercompany Transaction Policy
- Fixed Asset Accounting Policy
- Inventory Management Policy
- Project Accounting Policy
- Cost/Inventory Accounting Policy
- Treasury Policy and Banking Systems
- Business Process, Corporate Policy (compliance &completeness)
- Financial Data Flows
- Advanced Accounting (US GAAP and IFRS or any local GAAP)
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Cost/Inventory Accounting
- Project Accounting
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or equivalent.
- 3 plus years of relevant experience in accounting, planning and financial analysis.
- Experience with SAP a plus.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal skills enabling effective communication with all levels of management.
- Individual must be self-motivated with great follow-up skills and be able to work independently.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills are required.
- Ability to integrate perspectives with strong sense of ownership and focus on results.
- Project management and change management experience.
- Strong organizational skills required to coordinate and manage multiple cross divisional work process and projects.
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry would be an asset.
- Experience with continuous improvement projects and practical application of CPI methodologies (Lean, Six Sigma) would be an asset.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns, fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.