Associate Mechanical Engineer
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The purpose of this role is to apply engineering and scientific knowledge and ingenuity to complete engineering assignments in the Global Facilities Management organization that is responsible for AbbVie facility projects.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Plans and conducts small-sized assigned projects within mechanical discipline requiring conventional types of plans, investigations and/or equipment. Implements plans; initiates execution of own work plan; monitors executions for adherence to plan, e.g., documents work status and reports to management/stakeholders with appropriate frequency. Coordinates with technical support personnel to conduct prototype or experimental runs of products or processes.
- Facilitates the definition of a project scope with stakeholders. Converts goals to tasks and steps. Within structure, plans own work, manages several, often concurrent, tasks to accomplish assigned tasks to meet or exceed expectations for cost, schedule, and quality. Participates in basic economic analysis and feasibility studies related to project alternatives under guidance. Jointly responsible for achieving the project’s financial targets in support of business objectives.
- Interprets problems and either creates or modifies design solutions. Reviews existing layouts and standards and creates a proposed design. Applies standard engineering principles and methodologies to interpret, draw conclusions and recommend solutions for problems considering a broad range of factors. Improves methods/designs/processes. Recognizes and implements innovations and cost reductions.
- Conceptualizes complete solutions; seeks to understand the business needs of the company and the business stakeholder’s needs when developing a project scope; creates or coordinates the design solutions for novel or complex problems; integrates regulatory and operational needs; assesses cost benefit.
- Builds relationships; initiates and cultivates open, honest relationships with colleagues, customers, contractors, and suppliers by establishing rapport, developing an understanding of others’ needs, promoting common goals, and following through on commitments.
- Conveys information effectively through verbal, written and presentations to stakeholders and team members, both internal and external to AbbVie, using appropriate communication protocols. Identifies ways to improve customer satisfaction. Documents agreements and commitments and keeps direct customers informed throughout the project or initiative.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience plus demonstrated competence.
- Proficient with AutoCAD preferred. Construction Management background would be a plus.
- Entry level position, less than two years of experience is typical.
- Ability to quickly gain knowledge, understanding, or skill and willingly absorb and comprehend AbbVie processes, policies and methods. Possess good human relation skills in both implementing and coordinating efforts across several disciplines.
- Interacts well with diverse groups and maintains strong working relationships with internal and external collaborators.
- Listens to and understands others’ points of view and articulates tactfully and respectfully one’s own perspective orally, in writing, and in presentations. Ability to negotiate and reconcile differences.
- Works well with other engineers in a collaborative, fast-paced, and goal-driven environment. Ability to recognize risks versus the relative gains associated with design solutions.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.