Senior Manager, Global Scientific Publications
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Senior Publication Manager will maximize the reach of Allergan’s scientific communication within Allergan’s strategic customer segments. Develops a strategic plan and manages a tactical publication plan for journals and congresses aligned with therapeutic area (TA) teams and with input from the following US and global teams: clinical, epidemiology, health economics and outcomes research and marketing. Establishes scientific publication direction under the direction of the TA Medical Director and Sr. Director-Publications. Serves as the focal point on all pre-and post-marketing publication issues and opportunities related to publication strategy, content communication tactics delivery, and other related activities for brands / indications.
The employee must conduct their work activities in compliance with all Allergan internal requirements and with all applicable regulatory requirements. Allergan internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervising and leadership:
- Leads and is accountable for the Scientific development and the tactical implementation of an publication plan for brands / indications. Leads the development and the management of the annual budget..
- Develops and maintains long-term (3 years) and short-term (1 year) publication plans and strategies. It includes
- the appropriate gathering and integration of customer and market insights,
- the development and presentation of a compelling business case for the proposed publication plan, and
- the assessment of the resource required and the timing of their mobilization
- Leads and manages a publication team made of internal and external resources. Proposes and gets the endorsement of the different internal team members regarding the selection of the type of publication to go after (e.g., manuscript, abstract, poster, etc.) and the content dissemination venue suited to communicate the developed content. Takes into consideration other brands publication programs to create synergies and avoids sub-optimal timing
- Leads and guides agency’s strategic work and deliverables
- Plans and communicates the publication timing with respective internal stakeholders to timely schedule the delivery of the proposed content through the different channels
- Manages the external and internal resources to work on publication deliverables (e.g., content drafting, content editing, abstract submission, etc.). Periodically, tracks the status of content development internally, and mobilizes external writers if required.
- Leads periodic review meetings with internal stakeholders to communicate progress on the implementation plan, to ensure quality and timeliness of the content development process, to address potential upcoming issues, to propose – if necessary – a risk mitigation plan and to check the timely submission of the content
- Integrates publication performance metrics periodically. Communicates and informed overall status of the publication strategy and implementation plan to the medical affairs, the brand and the R&D teams
- Leads and guides agency’s tactical work and deliverables
- Positions him/herself as the publication point of contact in the eyes of the external stakeholders
- Initiates and manages live meetings with external stakeholders. Informs them on Allergan’s publication portfolio process. Is proactive in creating opportunities to work with colleagues who may have some existing relationships with external scientific thought leaders
- Identifies the external stakeholder publication needs and reports them to the publication portfolio team and manages the discussion to resource and potentially address needs
- Provides scientific knowledge and strategic inputs to support the scientific platform
- Delivers a training program for Allergan publication strategy to other department of the company and external audiences (e.g., agencies, thought leaders, etc.)
- Maintains professional relationships with department heads and above in the company. Develops professional relationships with outside vendors.
- Owns and delivers presentations within the Company as required with input from supervisor.
- Improves professional knowledge by attending seminars, classes, workshops and through regular reading of scientific literature.
- Keeps current in product and medical knowledge, best GPP practices, and applicable regulations and guidance.
- Develops and communicates GPP SOPs across TAs
- Monitors compliance to SOPs
- Leads the contracting process with multiple agencies, for different TAs. Negotiates contracts (with the optional support of the contracting organization) with key vendors / agencies, ensuring that contract terms maximize value for Allergan’s brands. Ensures that the contract development and the approval process flow through internal Allergan departments, and are as efficient as possible
- Collects and presents publication budget data from external and internal sources, for multiple TAs.
- Leads the development of a strategic dashboard that captures the performance of the publication process across brands and indications.
- Oversees the accurate tracking and communication process of the publication planning performance metrics
- Troubleshoots publication planning issues that might be highlighted in the reports, across brands.
Desired Experience and Knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team without reporting relationship authority
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a strong and stable network within the internal organization
- Previous responsibility for managing key vendor relationships
- Scientific communication
- Prior ownership for developing and executing scientific strategic plans and tactics focused on various audiences
- Experience in developing scientific communication strategies and tactics, including the launch of new products and lifecycle management activities for specific audiences (investigators, payers, thought leaders, trade associations, etc.)
- Business Generalist
- Experience in executing and in overseeing highly complex programs and projects
- Strategic planning experience required
- Experience working in a highly matrixed organization
- Working knowledge of the Allergan contracting process
Education and Experience
- Ph.D in a scientific discipline and 4 years publications experience OR
- MS in a scientific discipline and 7 years publications experience
Essential Skills and Abilities
- Customer Focus: Makes customers and their needs a primary focus of one’s actions; develops and sustains productive relationship
- Establishing Strategic Direction: Establishes and commits to a long-range course of action after analyzing information and assumptions; takes into consideration resources, constraints, and organizational values.
- Driving Execution: Translates strategy into operational reality. Breaks down strategic priorities or business initiatives into key tasks and identifies accountabilities. Aligns communication, people, culture, processes, resources and systems to ensure effective implementation and delivery of required results.
- Building Partnerships: Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, units, or organizations to help achieve business goals.
- Building Trust: Interacts with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization
- Information Monitoring: Sets up ongoing procedures to collect and review information needed to manage an organization or ongoing activities within it.
- Demonstrated technical abilities and skills in the use and management of the Datavision and other software applications, i.e., Microsoft Outlook, Office, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
- Ability to exercise good business judgment.
- Strong platform style, ability to make group presentations at regional and national meetings as required.
- Available for limited travel.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.