Scientist, Computational Biology
Chinook Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing precision medicines for kidney diseases. Chinook’s product candidates are being investigated in rare, severe chronic kidney disorders with opportunities for well-defined clinical pathways. Chinook’s lead program is atrasentan, a phase 3 endothelin receptor antagonist for the treatment of IgA nephropathy and other proteinuric glomerular diseases. BION-1301, an anti-APRIL monoclonal antibody is being evaluated in a phase 1b trial for IgA nephropathy. In addition, Chinook is advancing CHK-336, an oral small molecule LDHA inhibitor for the treatment of primary hyperoxaluria, as well as research programs for other rare, severe chronic kidney diseases.
Chinook is building its pipeline by leveraging insights in kidney single cell RNA sequencing, human-derived organoids, and new translational models, to discover and develop therapeutics with differentiating mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. Chinook trades on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol KDNY and has locations in Vancouver, BC, Seattle, WA and Berkeley, CA.
Chinook Therapeutics is seeking an energetic and collaborative Computational Biologist to join the Bioinformatics and Computational Biology team. Our laboratories are based in Vancouver, Canada but the successful candidate could be located in Seattle or Vancouver, Canada. This individual will support the development, implementation and application of computational tools and methods to provide actionable biological insights and contribute to a strong scientific understanding of drug targets and biological pathways within the context of precision medicines for kidney disease. Candidates will work with a multidisciplinary drug discovery team of biologists, medicinal chemists, DMPK scientists, and in vivo pharmacologists.
- Support internal and external efforts to provide actionable biological insights and build scientific understanding of specific drug targets and biological pathways within the context of kidney diseases through the development, implementation and application of tools and methods to analyze ‘omics data types and integrate with clinical phenotypes
- Develop, implement and apply computational tools and methods to store, process, analyze, visualize and integrate in-house and public genetics, RNAseq, NGS, metabolomics, proteomics and other ‘omics data types to address key drug discovery questions on biological and disease mechanisms, biological rationale, target safety, patient stratification, and biomarker identification
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, molecular biology, statistics, genetics, or similar; or Masters and 5+ years experience
- Skilled in large scale ‘omic analysis, with an emphasis on analyzing dynamic datasets to derive biological insights
- Extensive experience in bio-computational programming, scripting, querying or statistical analysis languages such as R, Python, Perl, SQL, as well as Linux OS for high performance computing required
- Experience using R Shiny, Bioconductor, Seurat, SciPy, etc. preferred
- Experience working on human diseases preferred and experience in kidney disease a plus
- Demonstrated experience in design, execution and interpretation of in vivo and/or in vitro biological experiments generating large scale molecular datasets, especially bulk RNA-seq and scRNA-seq as well as other NGS data types a plus
- Experience with machine learning, gene network analysis or cell type deconvolution a plus
- Ability to work with cross-disciplinary scientists and assimilate scientific concepts to propose, develop and execute computational strategies to address key questions
- Working knowledge of core concepts in statistical sciences
- Excellent communication skills with ability to clearly and concisely summarize computational concepts and findings to cross-disciplinary scientists
- A strong team player with a passion for science and drug discovery
- Positive attitude and high personal and ethical standards
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind. We are committed to fostering an environment where ALL people are welcome and supported. We respect and value different experiences and viewpoints. We act respectfully toward one another and embrace diversity of people and ideas. Having a diverse workforce made up of team members who bring a wide variety of skills, abilities, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success. Creativity and innovation flourish in an environment of openness, inclusion, and mutual respect.