Sr Research Associate
At Synthetic Genomics, Inc., we are dedicated to developing and commercializing genomic-driven solutions to address global challenges. We are currently seeking a Senior Research Associate to join our dynamic and collaborative team in La Jolla, CA.
The Senior Research Associate will focus on the research and development of engineered algae strains for biofuels and other bioproducts. The successful candidate will support development of genetic tools and strain engineering efforts to achieve key strain performance deliverables leading to commercially viable strains. This entails molecular and cellular biology techniques including the development of cutting-edge genome engineering technologies, laboratory scale cultivation and phenotypic analysis of algae, as well as support to algal strain development efforts in a highly dynamic and fast paced team environment.
- Genetic manipulation of Prokaryotic and Eukaryotic strains in collaboration with other project members.
- Small scale cultivation of strains including media preparation and culture maintenance
- Conduct common molecular biology techniques (PCR, SDS-PAGE, gene cloning, DNA sequencing, RNA isolation, Western Blotting, protein preparation).
- Culturing and characterization of microbial strains with knowledge/proficiency in aseptic technique.
- Generate detailed and complete notebook entries and communicate data in written and oral reports in a group setting.
- Follow and document Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and additional verbal and written directions.
- Analyze/present data and articulate supported conclusions in written/oral reports.
- Maintain a culture of safety in the facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in molecular or cellular biology, microbiology, biochemistry, or related Life Sciences discipline with at least 5 years previous experience working in a lab environment; or an MS degree in the abovementioned fields with 2-4 years relevant laboratory experience.
- Practical working knowledge of modern synthetic biology (CRISPR, DNA assembly, nucleic acid purification and manipulation, cloning, DNA sequencing, PCR, etc).
- Laboratory experience in a fast paced, team-oriented setting preferred.
- Experience in data analysis, summarizing results, and scientific writing.
- Experience in algal cultivation at laboratory scale highly desired.
- Basic familiarity with lab equipment and machinery and their safe operation.
- Proven ability to budget time and manage several distinct projects at once.
- Eagerness to develop, learn and adopt new methods.
- Mastery of good sterile technique.
- Creative problem-solving skills requiring the application of scientific theory.
- Ability to develop and deploy a wide range of methods with minimal supervision.
- Interact effectively within a multidisciplinary team.