Associate Research Scientist
Azitra Inc. is a clinical stage medical dermatology company that leverages its extensive knowledge of proteomics, genetic engineering, and the skin microbiome to create and develop novel products for the treatment of skin conditions and diseases.
Azitra, Inc. seeks a dynamic and highly motivated individual to help revolutionize the field of biological therapeutics in the prevention and treatment of skin diseases. The ideal candidate will thrive in an environment of rapid development and implementation of novel techniques as we seek to apply modern microbial genetics to novel diagnostic and therapeutic development.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct biochemical and protein binding assays such as SDS-PAGE, western blot analysis, ELISA.
- Proficiency in protein purification and development of enzyme-based assays.
- Characterize the in vitro and in vivo properties of engineered bacterial strains.
- Maintain cell lines and perform experiments with cell cultures and characterize their interactions with bacterial strains of interest using biochemical and immunological assays.
- Assist in the development of gene expression assays in bacteria, mammalian cell lines and mouse models.
- Assist in the development of multiplex immunoassays.
- Maintain a clear and detailed laboratory notebook and communicate results with relevant team members in well-organized written and oral formats.
- Contribute new ideas, suggestions, insights at project meetings, as well as ad hoc.
- Support internal and external collaborations.
- Contribute to technical reports and write protocols when needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- MS + 2 years relevant experience, or BS + 5 years relevant experience, degree in biology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, or biotechnology.
- Experience with standard molecular microbiology techniques including, but not limited to DNA/RNA extraction, quantification of nucleic acids and proteins, ELISA, SDS-PAGE, PCR, and bacterial culture.
- Familiarity with handling BSL-2 bacteria, mammalian cell culture, and sterile technique.
- Experience in the development and performance of biochemical and mammalian/bacterial cell-based assays.
- Experience in recombinant gene expression in bacteria, proficiency in cloning/plasmid construction, and bacterial strain construction
- Proven ability to design/troubleshoot/ validate assays, and critically analyze assay data.
- Knowledge of bacterial physiology, genetics and experience with Gram-positive bacteria are highly desired. Experience working with skin commensal bacteria a plus.
- Ability to multitask and to work in a rapidly evolving environment are required.