Senior Director, Head of US Field Medical
Imagine\u2026 2 weeks after the birth of your child you realize they aren't meeting critical developmental milestones and after months of doctor's appointments you are told your baby has a rare neurological disease that would impact how they would live their lives.
This is the reality of parents whose children have Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) and it's the reason why we at Novartis Gene Therapy are laser focused on bringing hope and possibility to those devastated by rare genetic diseases.
We use cutting-edge technology to turn promising gene therapies into proven treatments beginning with SMA but also focusing on Rett Syndrome and Friedreich's Ataxia.
Imagine the lives you could transform by joining the Novartis Gene Therapy team.
The Senior Director, Head of US Field Medical is responsible for establishing the strategy and direction for the US Regional Medical Director (RMD) team, including accountability for execution and attainment of US medical objectives.
- Cross-functional collaboration within US MA, GMA, US commercial, Clinical Development, and other functions for synergistic opportunities.
- Quantifies and reports RMD impact on organizational goals and medical objectives.
- Fiscal accountability and deployment of resources, both financial and human.
- Integration of global pipeline activities as appropriate.
- Accountable for performance management and development of a team of "peer expert" health professionals, representing Novartis Gene Therapies at the local & regional level with HCP's.
- Serves as a valued and integral part of the US Medical Affairs team contributing to the development of the overall medical affairs strategy and initiatives.
- Establishes vision and strategy for the field team in support of marketed products and pipeline compounds that is aligned with the US Medical Affairs strategy.
- Translates medical strategic priorities into clear field medical goals, objectives and initiatives with clear KPIs and metrics that demonstrate value.
- Ensures operational excellence of the team and execution of all efforts, initiatives and activities, including development of KOL engagement and territory management plans in adherence to corporate and regulatory compliance standards.
- Establishes process for collection, interpretation, and timely communication of meaningful field-gathered intelligence to internal partners.
- Establishes oneself as a valued team member with internal partners by building and cultivating productive relationships, working collaboratively, and maintaining proactive and responsible communication as it relates to field medical activities/outcomes that support the achievement of business objectives.
- Establishes a productive work environment by building trust and respect within the team to ensure optimal performance and output.
- Demonstrates clinical, scientific, and technical expertise and serves as a resource for the field medical team as well as internal and external stakeholders.
- Enhances organizational collaboration by encouraging dialog amongst team members to address issues and seek change and solutions that improve the organization.
- Identifies, recommends, and develops projects aimed at enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of the field medical team to ensure operational excellence.
- Management and development of all team members including hiring, training, mentoring, coaching, performance management, and career development.
- Effectively manages administrative activities of self and team members: Includes CRM database entry and insight collection and reporting via X-Fly, T&E reporting, etc.
- Directly accountable for an operating budget and alignment with US medical affairs resource needs.
- Other relates duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree (PharmD, MD, DO, PhD or masters) with 7 years of Medical Affairs experience.
- 4 years of experience managing field medical personnel preferred.
- Ability to combine broad therapeutic knowledge and business acumen.
- Experience working in rare disease space preferred; neurodegenerative disease and/or pediatric specialty preferred.
- Managed Care (commercial, Medicaid/Medicare), P&T, and HEOR experience (strongly preferred) .
- Extensive understanding of clinical, commercial and regulatory standards.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong presentation skills.
- Experience working with all levels of management and consulting with key business stakeholders.
- Strong team player that has a customer service approach and solution oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically, work cross-functionally, and lead teams.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and integrity and represent the company's high ethics, moral behavior, and professionalism.
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated experience in working with the Microsoft suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Willingness/Ability to travel up to 50%.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we're proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people's lives
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world's toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Novartis Gene Therapies Benefit Summary:
Annual bonus, long term incentive, health insurance, paid vacation/holidays, potential flexible working arrangements (based on role) and an employee recognition program are available for this position, among many other benefits provided to employees of Novartis Gene Therapies.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.