Associate Scientist II - Foundational Immunology
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Foundational Immunology Department is committed to advancing drug development through the deeper understanding of disease facilitated by deep molecular profiling. The Associate Scientist will be responsible for developing and implementing new technologies to enable immuno-profiling of disease from human samples and preclinical models. The successful candidate will have a strong background in molecular biology and immunology and a demonstrated ability to design, execute, troubleshoot, and interpret experiments independently. The successful candidate will have expertise in molecular techniques such as RNA isolation, RNA analysis by qPCR, experience with RNA Sequencing workflows and extracellular vesicle analysis. The ability to work as a part of a multi-disciplinary team, represent program-related work to senior management and external collaborators will be required.
Core job responsibilities include:
- Nucleic acid quality control, cDNA synthesis and qRT-PCR.
- High throughput RNA and DNA extraction from clinical/human samples
- Extracellular vesicle isolation and in vitro/ex vivo assays.
- Library preparation for RNA Sequencing
- Maintenance of lab reagents.
- Effective communication of results in a timely manner in written and oral form.
- The candidate should possess excellent oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Generate, analyze, and effectively communicate and present data both one-on-one and to a larger audience.
- 2+ years experience with cell free RNA/DNA isolation
- 1+ years experience with RNA Sequencing data analysis
- 1+ years experience working in a BSL-2 environment.
- Experience working with extracellular vesicles/exosomes.
- Knowledge of immunology / biomarker discovery is a plus.
- Prior experience working in a research lab in an industrial setting.
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, is open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.