Scientist II - Analytical Development
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
AbbVie is searching for a highly motivated individual to fill a Scientist II position in the Protein Analytics group at AbbVie Bioresearch Center in Worcester MA. The Protein Analytics Department is responsible for the development, qualification and execution of analytical methods to provide product and process understanding for biological entities from discovery through commercial stages.
Protein Analytics is seeking an experienced, motivated and team-oriented individual for an important role supporting development and registration of AbbVie’s biologic pipeline of preclinical, clinical and commercial products. The successful candidate will be part of the Biomolecular Interactions Group within Protein Analytics that is focused on method development and implementation of various immunoassays to monitor process impurities and to assess the biological activity of mAb and ADC products in AbbVie’s pipeline. As a key member of the Biomolecular interactions group, the successful candidate will interact effectively and transparently with team members and contribute to the continuous improvement and innovation within the group.
- Develop, optimize and qualify ELISA methods to monitor process impurities
- Develop, optimize and qualify binding potency methods
- Develop, optimize and qualify residual DNA and mycoplasma detection methods
- Organize and document data and results in an electronic lab notebook
- Author technical reports, support and contribute to regulatory filings
- Address and solve technical problems independently
- Conceive and implement innovative ideas, evaluate and integrate state-of-the-art technology to improve work process, and demonstrate a high level of scientific initiative
- Work collaboratively with members of the Biomolecular Interaction Group to drive innovation and deliver new technologies
- Provide project updates and results to cross-functional teams and management in both oral and written communication
- Develop productive collaborations and communication within Protein Analytics
- BS or MS degree in biological sciences or chemistry with 7+ (BS) or 5+ (MS) years of relevant experience in academic or biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting or equivalent. Title is commensurate with experience.
- Minimum of 2 years hands-on experience with ELISA required
- Minimum of 2 years hands-on experience with SPR or BLI required
- Hands on or in-depth knowledge of other biochemical and biophysical characterization of proteins
- Automation experience (ie Tecan) and experience with 2D gels/westerns a plus
- Sound scientific understanding of immunoassay development
- Understanding of protein folding, interaction, and stability
- Demonstrated ability to independently design, execute and interpret critical experiments with attention to details in documentations.
- Goal oriented team player, with excellent communication skills, problem solving skills, and ability to adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective computer skills (MS office, in particular EXCEL, other software to support work)
- Must be willing to adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable efficient performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly when necessary.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and willing to experiment to achieve improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to achieve project and corporate goals.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.