Scientist - Cardiometabolic Disorders
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge youve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.Scientist, Cardiometabolic DisordersLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. The Cardiometabolic Disorders Department at Amgen in Thousand Oaks is seeking a highly motivated Scientist to join a team of investigators in pursuit of innovative treatments for obesity and the related cardio-metabolic disorders. In this vital role you will:
- Serve as a lead preclinical biologist for cross-functional drug discovery programs. In this role, the candidate is expected to work independently and productively in a highly collaborative and fast-paced teamwork environment.
- Drive the advancement of projects by performing in vitro experiments using a wide range of molecular and cellular biology techniques, such as primary cell culture, stable cell line development, functional cell-based assay development, CRISPR/Cas-based genome editing, immunoassays (western blot, ELISA, flow cytometry, etc.), RT-qPCR, fluorescent microscopy, and other imaging methods.
- Interact and collaborate closely with in vivo pharmacologists, protein biochemists, structural biologists, computational biologists, pathologists, mass spectrometry and other subject matter experts, and provide scientific and technical inputs.
- Exhibit self-motivation and proactive attitude in designing and conducting experiments using cutting-edge technologies and proposing new innovative ideas that would drive the discovery of novel biology and therapeutics.
- Present preclinical data internally and at scientific conferences and contribute to the drafting of scientific manuscripts, patent applications, and regulatory documents.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The qualified professional we seek is a scientist with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications
Doctorate degree in molecular biology, cell biology, or related experienceOr
Masters degree and 4 years of molecular biology, cell biology, or related experienceOr
Bachelors degree and 6 years of molecular biology, cell biology, or related experiencePreferred qualifications
- 5-8 years of wet lab experience in signal transduction, cell biology, cell metabolism, in vitro pharmacology, and/or related areas. Expertise in GPCR signaling and membrane trafficking is a plus.
- Track record of solving challenging scientific problems with hard work and creativity, demonstrated by first-author publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals.
- Understanding of human metabolic disease biology and genetics.
- Experience working with rodent disease models and biological sample analysis.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including an ability to present a clear and compelling scientific case.
- Proficiencies in mentoring other researchers and in leading internal and external collaborations.
- Strong desire to discover transformative therapeutics for cardiometabolic diseases such as obesity and fatty liver disease.
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.