Scientist - Precision Oncology
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve earned your degree. How will you use that achievement to reach your goals? Do more with the knowledge youve worked hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Become the professional you are meant to be in this meaningful role.
Scientist - Precision OncologyLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. The Department of Oncology Research at Amgen, Thousand Oaks seeks an exceptional and motivated cancer biologist to lead and contribute to collaborative teams focused on the discovery and development of novel targeted small molecule oncology therapeutics. The candidate will be part of a highly collaborative cross functional drug discovery team encompassing cancer biology, functional genomics, medicinal chemistry and structural biology. In this vital role you will utilize cutting edge genomic and cell biology techniques to play a leading role in new target validation, and the generation of data packages to further our understanding of mechanism of action of clinical development candidates.Key responsibilities will include:
- In collaboration with our bioinformatics team, lead and contribute to new target identification and validation using genomic approaches such as CRISPR to assess gene function.
- Drive and provide key support to efforts to assess the pharmacodynamic activity, efficacy and mechanism of action of therapeutic candidates in preclinical oncology models.
- Close collaboration with our biomarker scientists to develop and implement pharmacodynamic assays and patient stratification strategies for programs transitioning to clinical development.
- Partner with colleagues in the oncology therapeutic area, bioinformatics and medicinal chemistry to develop strategy and new technologies to achieve our drug discovery goals.
- Represent project teams through presentations at internal and external forums and the submission of manuscripts for publication.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The qualified professional we seek is a scientist with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications
Doctorate degree and 2 years of cancer biology or a related fieldOr
Masters degree and 5 years of cancer biology or a related fieldOr
Bachelors degree and 7 years of cancer biology or a related fieldPreferred Qualifications
- PhD and training in cancer biology or a related field, preferable with a minimum of 2 years postdoctoral experience in an academic or industry setting.
- Technical expertise with state of the art molecular and cell biology techniques, particularly those relevant for assaying gene function (e.g. CRISPR or shRNA).
- Experience in new target identification, validation and bioinformatics or experience supporting, or leading drug discovery programs would be a plus.
- Evidence of independent critical thinking and scientific achievement, supported by a strong publication record and/or significant contributions to a drug discovery program.
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Full support and career-development resources to expand your skills, enhance your expertise, and maximize your potential along your career journey
- A diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plancomprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefitswith compensation and benefits rated above 4 stars (out of 5) on Glassdoor
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.
careers.amgen.comEqual Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.