Business Development External R&D Senior Manager
The mission of Amgens External Research and Development (ER&D) group within Business Development is to maximize Amgens ability to deliver life changing therapies through rigorous identification and assessment of external innovation. Amgen is currently searching for a highly motivated and scientifically curious person to join our External R&D group as Senior Manager to support the oncology therapeutic area.
The External R&D group actively supports Amgens growing pipeline and strategic goals by identifying and assessing opportunities from all external sources, including universities, venture/investment firms, small start-up companies, and other large pharma. The Senior Manager is responsible for the global search efforts to support the Therapeutic Areas strategic objectives, as well as managing the technical due diligence to ensure a thorough understanding of the potential and the risks of each opportunity. For opportunities of high interest, this person will partner with a Transaction lead to execute agreements that maximize the value of the opportunity, including venture investments, licensing, collaborations, and acquisitions. This is an attractive opportunity for someone with sound scientific knowledge and drug development experience who enjoys a dynamic and entrepreneurial environment, and a highly-visible role that offers a chance to make significant contributions towards Amgens goals and improve patient care.
- Identify, prioritize, and evaluate innovative therapeutic opportunities from early preclinical through commercial stage
- Proactively source opportunities via internal and external networking, attending scientific sessions, monitoring of pipelines, news, and other sources such as KOLs, VCs, and industry leaders
- Guide and manage evaluations with cross-functional teams, including R&D, Commercial, CMC/manufacturing, Legal, IP, and others
- Provide recommendations and guidance, and ensure robust and efficient decision-making processes
- Work closely with other Business Development functions to ensure appropriate deal structures and valuations are achieved
- Ensure thorough record keeping
- Support the generation of therapeutic area (TAs) strategies in conjunction with the TAs
- Reach out externally and internally to share Amgens Business Development vision
- This role requires strong collaboration, organization, scientific, and strategic skills, as well as the ability to prepare and present clear communications for senior management
Doctorate degree & 2 years of Business Development and/or drug development industry experience
Masters degree & 6 years of Business Development and/or drug development industry
Bachelors degree & 8 years of Business Development and/or drug development industry experience
- Doctorate degree in a scientifically related discipline
- 3+ years of experience in biotech/pharma business development and/or drug development with strong technical R&D experience
- Strong scientific, organizational, communication, and project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with a record of key accomplishments
- Excellent presentation skills
- Effective communication skills pertaining to scientific and business development
- The ability to foresee and solve problems, and prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong team player
- Ability to interface effectively with all-levels of experts across differing functional expertise within the organization, including Commercial, Legal, CMC, and Finance.
- Demonstrated ability to create and build relationships with internal and external parties.
- Professional demeanor with strong decision-making skills and ability to work calmly in a high intensity and dynamic environment
- The ability to work independently as well as coordinate and guide large cross functional teams
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve peoples lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the worlds leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.