Business Development Manager
Amgen is searching for a Business Development Manager in our Business Development group. This role will report to the Executive Director, Business Development and will be based on our main corporate campus in Thousand Oaks, CA.
The Business Development Manager will contribute to the successful execution and implementation of Amgens academic strategy by providing support for external research collaboration and academic outreach.The staff member is expected to liaise with the Research & Development (R&D) team to establish and maintain productive relationships with the academic institutions for the purpose of accessing innovation that enable drug discovery through collaboration, and to improve Amgens engagement in the scientific community. Expected tangible results from this position includes establishing strategic relationships with universities by executing collaborative agreements in partnership with Amgens Research, legal and Compliance groups, and managing established relationships. This role may also involve the staff to engage with external corporate entities to source, evaluate and negotiate agreements to access innovative technologies in support of Amgens overall business development strategy.
Key responsibilities of this role include:
- Partnering closely with Research and Development (R&D) scientific leadersto develop, implement and manage Amgens academic strategy
- Coordinate appropriate meetings between Amgens R&D team/executives and the partners (e.g., University Corporate Partnership representative and appropriate faculty), identify follow up items of potential significant value, lead follow up discussions and execute appropriate contracts to enable a productive collaboration, and provide Project Management of on-going partnerships
- Ensure interactions are in compliance with policies, procedures, methodologies and best practices
- Develop and execute contracts in close collaboration with Legal, Compliance, and Finance partners
- Domestic travel up to10%
Masters degree and 2 years of Business Development and/or drug development industry experience
Bachelors degree and 4 years of Business Development and/or drug development industry experience
Associates degree and 10 years of Business Development and/or drug developmentindustryexperience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Business Development and/or drug developmentindustryexperience
- PhD preferred
- 3+ years of experience in biotech/pharma business development and/or drug development
- Expertise in immuno-oncology or oncology
- Strong scientific, organizational, communication, and project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with a record of key accomplishments
- Excellent presentation skills
- Effective communication skills pertaining to scientific and business development
- The ability to foresee and solve problems, and prioritize and meet deadlines
- Strong team player with proven ability to work in teams
- Ability to interface effectively with all-levels of staff across differing functional expertise within the organization, including Commercial, Legal, CMC, and Finance
- Demonstrated ability to create and build relationships with internal and external parties
- Professional demeanor with strong decision-making skills
- The ability to work independently as well as coordinate and guide large cross functional teams
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve peoples lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the worlds leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.