Sr Manager Engineering - Principal Engineer
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Principal Engineer - Senior Manager of Engineering for Process Systems EngineeringLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this vital role you will be responsible for technical direction, leadership, strategy and support for a broad array of systems with a focus in a specific area of Drug Substance Manufacturing Systems. This position encompasses both a leadership/managerial role and a technical network lead SME role within the process equipment and systems engineering team. The successful candidate will lead a team of 5-7 Senior engineers within the Process Systems engineering team which includes Drug Substance, Drug Product, Final Drug Product and Process Support systems (Cleaning, Sterilization, Single use). The candidate will also provide technical network leadership and expertise of a specific technical equipment area such as Upstream Processing, or Cleaning and Sterilization (or others). Key elements of the position will be to own, develop and maintain standard equipment designs within the area of expertise, to provide network leadership to drive alignment, solve problems and prevent issues within Amgens manufacturing network.
The position will also provide direct project engineering leadership for critical capital projects, as well as providing managerial oversight for a team of SMEs with similar responsibilities for other technology areas. To accomplish Amgens objectives, the position will strongly partner with Manufacturing, Process Development, Quality, EH&SS and other functions as Amgen maintains our goal of best in class manufacturing to serve every patient every time.
The position is part of the ETA organization that includes Process Systems, Facilities and Utilities, Site Project Engineering, Maintenance and Metrology functions. This position is part of Amgens Process Systems Engineering Leadership Team.
The Sr Manager deploys engineering expertise from within the company (global and site-based experts) as well as expertise from our industry to optimize Amgens assets throughout their life cycle. They lead a small team of senior level engineers who act as network leads and project engineers at sites in support of Amgen facilities in the USA, Puerto Rico, Ireland, Netherlands and Singapore, as well as leading a specific technical network focus area supporting the Amgen manufacturing network.
Specific system responsibilities would be in an area of Drug Substance manufacturing, either upstream, downstream or cleaning and sterilization systems. A key aspect of this role includes ownership of Amgens specification and standard designs for equipment in the area of responsibility. Through their team, and partners this manager is has responsibilities for:
- Planning: Translate business needs into engineering technology solutions. Lead analysis of alternatives and recommendations for technical solutions in major projects. Publish and maintain engineering standards and specifications. Lead Engineering in development and execution of corporate environmental sustainability goals & projects.
- Design: Lead design and equipment selection to optimize quality and cost across the total life cycle of assets. Ensure appropriate use of technology, and adherence to standards/practices. Approve appropriate exceptions to Amgen standards and specifications.
- Construction: Provide engineering support during construction, resolve technical issues, and ensure project objectives are met. Ensure commissioning standards are developed and implemented during system qualification.
- Operations and Maintenance: Review performance data and recommend improvements for systems. Develop and approve maintenance standards and techniques. Assist sites in troubleshooting, and remediation to prevent future occurrence throughout the network. Support the long-range plan for Maintenance.
- Sustainability: Support Amgens environmental sustainability
- Management: Provide day to day management and leadership including mentoring, staff development and work prioritization for a small team of process equipment engineering. Providing input into department objectives and establishment of strategic direction within the Process Systems team.
This position can be located at the following Amgen sites: ATO (preferred), ARI, AMA, AML. The position requires the ability to travel up to 25% including overnight stays.Win
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Senior Engineering Manager we seek is a collaborative and forward thinking professional with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications:
- Doctorate degree and 6 years of direct experience in Engineering or a related technical discipline OR
- Masters degree and 10 years of direct experience in Engineering or a related technical discipline OR
- Bachelors degree and 12 years of direct experience in Engineering or a related technical discipline AND
- Minimum 6 years of managing people in a multi-tiered organization and directing the allocation of resources
- Experience leading teams, projects, and programs
- Proven experience leading design in support of capital projects
- Prior experience leading engineers or other technical professionals
- Professional Engineer license
- Extensive experience providing technical support to manufacturing processes, equipment and facilities
- Proven experience and track record of compliance in a highly regulated environment
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead and partner in a complex, matrixed organizations
- Successful deployment of continuous improvement methodologies (e.g., Lean, Six Sigma, Total Quality Management, Reliability Centered Maintenance, Root Cause Analysis tools, etc.)
- Capabilities to hire, develop and lead a diverse workforce
- Financial acumen to deploy initiatives that add shareholder value
- Excellent communications skills, strong facilitation talent, and executive presence to drive cross functional objectives across Amgens international network
- Strong analytical skills to identify potential improvement opportunities
- Knowledge of industry trends (e.g., regulatory and compliance, technology, human performance programs, sustainability, asset insurance, etc.) to stay at the forefront of technology implementation
- Knowledge of applicable regulations (e.g. cGMP, building codes, Boiler and Pressure Vessel codes, etc.), to ensure compliance. Represent Amgen with outside firms, technical societies and regulatory bodies.
- Ability to develop, implement and utilize tools to drive efficiency in meeting business needs; establish measure and evaluate performance metrics, taking actions based on results.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt. Join us.
#Operations21Equal Opportunity Statement
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Join UsIf you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.