Vice President, Head of Chemistry
Founded in 2017 within Flagship Labs, Cellarity’s new approach to drug discovery is based on the computational modeling of cell behavior, leading to a more complete understanding of system and network biology to uncover cell-behavior-targeted medicines for a wide variety of diseases. Cellarity recently raised $123 million in Series B financing. The round included contributions from funds and accounts managed by BlackRock, The Baupost Group, Banque Pictet on behalf of their clients and eight other investors alongside Flagship Pioneering.
Cellarity is generating unprecedented biological insights by combining its unique expertise in network biology, high-resolution data, and machine learning. The result is a new understanding of the cell’s trajectory from health to disease, and how cells relate to one another in tissues. Because the cell and its network of transcripts and proteins offer a more complete view of the complexity of human biology than any individual molecular target, Cellarity’s approach allows for more efficient drug discovery and is designed to drive higher rates of clinical success. Already, the company has seven drug discovery programs underway in diverse therapeutic areas that range from metabolic disease to immuno-oncology.
The successful Series B financing round validates the strength of Cellarity’s science and its potential to redefine drug discovery through its cell-centric approach.
Cellarity is seeking a highly motivated and innovative medicinal chemist to lead our Chemistry efforts and play a vital role in the company’s efforts to validate novel discovery approaches based on cell behavior.
This individual will report to the Senior Vice President of Drug Development and Head of R&D and would be expected to utilize Cellarity’s AI-augmented novel drug discovery paradigm, to lead, motivate and develop a team of medicinal chemists (internal and external) through early hit discovery, lead optimization, drug candidate identification and IND enabling assessment. The successful candidate will have deep experience in small molecule drug discovery and will drive the application of cutting-edge molecular, computational and AI-augmented design approaches to discover quality drug candidates that can become transformative medicines for serious diseases.
- Provide creative and innovative leadership of Medicinal Chemistry enabling the Company to convert strong biological hypotheses into transformative medicines
- Ensure effective interaction & communication between medicinal chemistry, computational chemistry, machine learning, computational biology and drug discovery teams
- Lead the department to ensure that it operates at the highest levels of scientific excellence
- Construct and manage spending budgets and project resourcing for the Medicinal Chemistry group
- Lead and/or contribute to cross-functional goals within Cellarity
- Work closely with Cellarity’s Leadership Team and CROs to ensure that the medicinal chemistry group employs the highest standards and most advanced methodologies in drug discovery
- Manage all chemistry-related development activities required for an IND-filing
- Develop and manage Cellarity’s small molecule IP portfolio. Work closely with attorneys to plan, create, and execute an aggressive IP strategy to protect and expand Cellarity’s intellectual property
- PhD in Organic/Medicinal Chemistry with 15+ years of industry experience in medicinal chemistry leadership roles such that a clear track record of success in Drug Discovery can be readily demonstrated
- An extensive track record of presentations, publications, and patents
- A high degree of self-motivation, organization, communication, and presentation skills; high competence in solving complex problems, as well as the ability to navigate a fast-paced cross-functional and collaborative work environment
- Demonstrated ability for people leadership and talent development
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases
- Strengths in the following areas: creativity, problem-solving, and managing relationships within a matrix project team environment (internal/external partners)
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in cross-functional teams with an emphasis on teamwork, collaboration, and communication
- Self-driven and demonstrated ability in working with a diverse team in a fast-entrepreneurial setting
- Experience with utilizing computational chemistry tools and structure-based drug design principles for lead identification and optimization
- Ability to collaborate with and manage internal experts and external consultants.
- Drug discovery experience in multiple therapeutic areas and target classes
Flagship Pioneering and our ecosystem companies are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Recruitment & Staffing Agencies: Flagship Pioneering and its affiliated Flagship Lab companies (collectively, “FSP”) do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than candidates. The submission of unsolicited resumes by recruitment or staffing agencies to FSP or its employees is strictly prohibited unless contacted directly by Flagship Pioneering’s internal Talent Acquisition team. Any resume submitted by an agency in the absence of a signed agreement will automatically become the property of FSP, and FSP will not owe any referral or other fees with respect thereto.