Laboratory Operations Manager & EHS Officer
Obsidian Therapeutics is pioneering engineered cell and gene therapies to deliver transformative outcomes for patients. Obsidian’s programs apply our CytoDriveTM technology in Cell and Gene therapy products to control expression of proteins for enhanced therapeutic efficacy and safety.
We’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. Our research team is based in the heart of Cambridge, MA, and our Technical Development and Manufacturing will soon be moving to a brand new facility in Bedford, MA to support our growth. Obsidianites enjoy a highly collaborative culture, competitive salary and benefits, and potential for ownership through stock options.
We’re looking for a highly motivated Lab Operations Manager & EHS Officer to join a growing and highly collaborative team focused translating innovative science into medical breakthroughs for patients.
This is a unique opportunity to be a contributor in a well-funded early-stage company with blue chip investors, field-leading advisors, and a highly experienced team. You will help us build a dynamic, innovative, passionate, collaborative, and successful organization focused on delivering transformative therapies in areas of greatest clinical need.
Located in the heart of Cambridge, we’re proud of our diverse talented team and committed to cultivating an environment of inclusion where each person feels a strong sense of belonging and is supported to continuously learn and contribute their best work. We offer competitive salary and benefits, and potential for employee ownership through stock options.
- Maintain and optimize processes within the lab to increase efficiency and effectiveness including: lab consumables management, asset management, chemical management, and protocols for equipment.
- Work both independently and collaboratively to accomplish company goals with a positive attitude.
- Support ongoing laboratory operations with a significant emphasis on ordering, receiving, stocking, storage and distribution of all lab consumables, media, reagents, equipment, supplies and any other inventory item(s) related to the operation of the laboratory, and organizing various lab spaces and equipment.
- Manage shipping for domestic and international shipments of lab materials, including the preparation of material for shipment.
- Coordinate maintenance and tracking of all lab equipment (calibrations, preventative maintenance, repairs and replacements, service contracts, new equipment purchases, space optimization).
- Collaborate regularly with Scientists to identify and address any workflow bottlenecks, inefficiencies or opportunities for process improvement, and logistical or administrative issues in the lab. Sometimes present at Lab Forum group meeting.
- Anticipate, troubleshoot, and resolve problems associated with work within the laboratory setting, including occasional off-hours response to laboratory emergencies.
- Establish lab procedures, create and manage lab-related documentation and organize, such as annual laboratory cleanouts and micropipette calibrations.
- Maintain lab safety standards by conducting frequent trainings, refreshers, inspections, walk throughs, and leading
- Ensure a safe working environment by identifying, reporting, and eliminating potential workplace hazards, reinforcing safety policies and good work practices.
- Coordinate all hazardous (biological and chemical) waste segregation, collection, and disposal.
- Participate in government or regulatory agency inspections.
- Support lab- related on- and off-boarding processes
- Help coordinate and support lab and office move planning and execution.
- Serve as the primary contact in day-to-day laboratory operations
- Bachelor’s degree or above and 3+ years management experience in a laboratory setting.
- Familiarity with basic molecular biology, sterile, and cell culture techniques; animal model research, including protocols; and the operation of standard lab equipment
- Experience operating and maintaining common laboratory equipment such as fridges, ultracold freezers, centrifuges, incubators, biosafety cabinets, and PCR workstations
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with a wide array of personalities and work styles.
- An aptitude and commitment to communicate clearly, listen to understand, and facilitate cross-functional communication transparency and alignment.
- A high level of initiative, good judgment, and the ability to work with little supervision.
- Excellent negotiating skills.
- Excellent customer-service and creative problem-solving skills.
- Strong skills in organization, time management, and team coordination.
- Adaptability to shift gears and re-prioritize throughout the day and week as new needs arise in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, balancing urgent and important.
- Ability to repeatedly lift heavy items (up to 50 lbs.)
- DOT, IATA/DG, RCRA, HAZWOPER Certifications (will be required if not yet certified)
- Experience in automation is desired.
Obsidian is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, cultivating a welcoming and diverse environment. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.