Senior Corporate Counsel - Clinical/Business Development
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science and engineering to radically improve the lives of patients and industrialize drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
We are seeking a perceptive, intelligent, and organized Clinical/R&D Counsel who will own, execute and help us optimize management of clinical trial-related work for the company, working independently with minimal supervision.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Collaborate with other subject matter experts in Legal, Business Development, Clinical Development and other groups to efficiently manage and update clinical and business development-related contracts and other templates and processes and assess risk, including development of automated/self-service approaches where appropriate
- Analyze contract provisions to ensure compliance with laws and regulations, and company policies and procedures and acceptable risk tolerance
- Agreement types include clinical trial, collaboration and co-development, licensing, M&A and other agreements
- Prepare and conduct trainings regarding legal concepts and company processes
- Advise the business on contract interpretation, terms, issues, risk and negotiating strategies
- Collaborate with various internal stakeholders effectively to address legal and business questions
- Provide other legal support based on the Company’s needs and your experience
The Team You’ll Join
- You will be joining a dynamic team of five which will be continuing to grow in 2021-22 and beyond.
- You will have an important role in supporting the growth of the organization and play a key role in the strategic planning for clinical trial support across all departments.
- The ideal candidate will be able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and be a self-starter.
The Skills and Attributes You’ll Need
- JD degree from a well-respected, accredited law school
- Undergraduate degree in one of the life sciences is preferred
- Admitted to Utah bar or eligible to register as in-house counsel in Utah
- At least 8+ years of legal experience, with a combination of experience in-house at a biotechnology/pharmaceutical company or academic institution and at a reputable law firm
- At least 4+ years of experience drafting and negotiating a broad range of contracts and other documents for biopharma companies, including licensing and collaboration agreements, CTAs, LOAs, POAs and MSAs
- Attention to detail, with excellent communication, analytical and project management abilities
- Accountable, dependable and self-motivated for continuous improvement of company templates, policies and processes
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced, early-stage company environment, with the ability to work independently and apply good business and legal judgement in assessing legal issues
- Understanding of intellectual property and privacy laws
- Detail-oriented with a high level of ethics and integrity
- Able to interpret and apply GCP, EU, FDA, ICH and other regulatory guidelines and frameworks
- Team player who can clearly communicate complex issues, observations and resolutions to stakeholders at all levels, with highly developed decision making and consensus-building skills
- Collaborative, flexible, positive, and pragmatic work style
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option, restricted stock unit (RSUs) and employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) programs**
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility** (Salt Lake City)
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute**
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars** (Salt Lake City)
- Monthly fitness/wellness stipend
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking** (Salt Lake City)
**United States based employees
More About Us
Recursion is a clinical-stage biotechnology company decoding biology by integrating technological innovations across biology, chemistry, automation, data science, and engineering, with the goal of radically improving the lives of patients and industrializing drug discovery. Central to our mission is the Recursion Operating System, or Recursion OS, that combines an advanced infrastructure layer to generate what we believe is one of the world’s largest and fastest-growing proprietary biological and chemical datasets and the Recursion Map, a suite of custom software, algorithms, and machine learning tools that we use to explore foundational biology unconstrained by human bias and navigate to new biological insights which may accelerate our programs. We are a biotechnology company scaling more like a technology company. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.