Executive Medical Director, Neuroscience Development
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Manages 2 levels of Medical and/or Scientific Directors and leads the direction, planning, execution, and interpretation of clinical trials or research activities across several clinical development programs. May lead cross-functional teams to generate, deliver, and disseminate high-quality clinical data supporting overall product scientific and business strategy. Acts as the overall leader of the Clinical Research function broadly across programs and disease areas. As a teacher and mentor, trains and guides both individuals and teams to help them execute effectively and achieve excellence in their assigned tasks.
- Accountable for reports who lead and have ownership of the design and implementation of multiple clinical development programs in support of the overall product development plans, based on strong medical and scientific principles, knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements, AbbVie’s customers, markets, business operations, and emerging issues. Ensures that staff provides project-related education of investigators, study site personnel, and AbbVie study staff. Responsibility may extend from early translational development activities to mature product lifecycle management strategies for internal and/or partnered programs.
- Trains and lends expertise to staff who serve on Asset Development Teams (ADTs) and ADT Leadership Boards (ALBs), and who lead Clinical Strategy Teams (CSTs) and clinical study teams, to ensure high-quality, cross-functionally-aligned program (i.e., Clinical Development Plan) and study deliverables with full consideration of contingencies and alternative approaches. Ensures that staff have capabilities to monitor overall study integrity, study enrollment and timelines (along with Clinical Operations), and the review, interpretation, and communication of accumulating data pertaining to safety and efficacy of the molecule. As needed, provides senior expert medical judgment in the assessment and reporting of serious adverse events per corporate policy and regulations for those programs for which responsible.
- Provides or ensures clarity regarding the appropriate level for review and approval of design, analysis, interpretation, and reporting of scientific content of protocols, Investigator Brochures, Clinical Study reports, regulatory submissions and responses, and other program documents.
- Manages two levels of Medical and Scientific Directors (typically 2 to 4 direct; 6 or more overall) and/or Clinical Scientists. This responsibility involves direct oversight of clinical development activities and/or management of personnel who may be working on other projects. Responsible for hiring, onboarding, mentoring, training, and supporting career development of these individuals.
- In rare circumstances, may lead a CST for an unusually complex, high-priority program. In this capacity, responsibilities may include supervision of matrix team members and serving as the Clinical Research representative to lend clinical development and medical expertise to ADTs and ALBs, and/or other cross-functional teams and internal stakeholders.
- Serves as the in-house clinical and drug development expert broadly across several molecules and disease areas in the therapeutic area, directing appropriate scientific activities with internal stakeholders as they relate to ongoing projects. May lead clinical development contributions to due diligence or other business development activity. Contributes in partnership with Discovery colleagues to design and implementation of translational strategies at a disease area and platform level.
- Acts as a senior-level liaison for opinion leader interactions related to the disease area(s); partners with Medical Affairs, Commercial and other functions in these activities as required, consistent with corporate policies, to ensure that broad cross-functional perspectives are incorporated into disease area strategies and Clinical Development Plans as appropriate.
- Stays abreast of professional information and technology through conferences, medical literature, and other available training, to augment expertise in the therapeutic area. Actively seeks opportunities to represent AbbVie at key external meetings and enhance AbbVie’s reputation as an industry leader.
- Responsible for having deep understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and global drug development and accountable for complying with those requirements. Serves as a senior clinical representative for key regulatory discussions.
- Ensures adherence to Good Clinical Practices, pharmacovigilance standards, standard operating procedures and to all other quality standards in conducting research.
- Medical Doctor (M.D.) or non-US equivalent of M.D. degree with relevant therapeutic specialty (Neurology or Psychiatry) in an academic or hospital environment. Completion of a residency program strongly preferred. Completion of a subspecialty fellowship (preferably in Neurodegenerative disorders) is desirable.
- At least 10 years (12+ years preferred) of clinical trial experience in the pharmaceutical industry, academia, or equivalent. Deep therapeutic area expertise strongly preferred.
- Ability to prioritize across, and help others effectively lead, several complex clinical research programs.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to bring out the best in others on a cross-functional global team. Must be able to lead and manage through influence.
- Prior experience as a direct or matrixed manager, with a demonstrated track record of training and development of junior-level staff, using best judgment to assure that they work with an appropriate level of autonomy.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support a global scientific and business strategy.
- Extensive knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory and compliance requirements governing clinical trials, and experience in development of clinical strategy and the design of study protocols.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to exercise judgment and address complex problems and create solutions across multiple projects.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.