Scientist/Senior Scientist, Mammalian Expression [JC-1385]
LakePharma is a leading biologics company specializing in antibody and protein engineering, cell line development, and protein production. Our services can be fully integrated, creating a customized solution for all our customer’s molecular biology, cell line, and protein needs.
We are rapidly growing and seeking a talented individual to join our Process Development and Manufacturing Team, focusing on upstream process development.
The incumbent will be responsible for developing cell culture parameters to support both antibody and protein manufacturing. The employee will be responsible for general lab support, executing projects within the laboratory, writing study/research plans, and summarizing data to clients and colleagues via technical reports. The successful candidate will be able to work with limited guidance to plan and execute studies and be able to perform routine maintenance on instruments and equipment. Primary duties and responsibilities include:
- Lead direct reports in upstream process development and cell culture.
- Execute all aspects of upstream mammalian cell culture operations, including maintenance and expansion of cell lines, production of recombinant proteins and antibodies through fed-batch/perfusion technologies, assembly, operation and control of small-scale single-use bioreactors, analysis of cell growth, metabolic activity and productivity, and methods for harvest clarification
- Perform cell culture clarification (depth filtration, UF/DF) and assess optimal filtration processes through development studies
- Communicate written and verbal project updates to project managers, senior level management, and clients
- Identify and promptly troubleshoot technical issues.
- Compile data and maintain electronic records, batch records, and activity logs used to support/contribute to technical/development reports for technology transfer and regulatory submission.
- Collaborate in multi-functional teams to successfully execute projects developing cell lines and biologics for clients.
- Flexibility to multi-task across numerous scientific disciplines.
The position requires a drive to provide outstanding customer service by maintaining regular communications with clients, as well as meeting or exceeding quality and timeline expectations.
- BS/MS (5+ years research experience)/PhD (2+ years research experience) in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering.
- Expertise in mammalian expression systems.
- Significant experience in these areas, and a Subject Matter Expert in at least one area:
o Experience with scalable mammalian (CHO) cell culture processes for production of recombinant fusion proteins and antibodies.
o Hands-on experience with single-use and glass bioreactors operated with various platforms (e.g. WAVE, 2 L or 50 L SUB, etc.)..
o Knowledge of Design of Experiment approaches for process optimization.
- Ability to produce high quality and timely reports.
- Experience operating equipment including Vi-CELL, FLEX2, and Octet is a plus.
- Experience in designing and implementing process development parameter optimization (DOE) is desired.
- Good organizational skills are required.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Must be able to clearly and accurately present written data and be comfortable with oral presentations.
- Independent, collaborative, team player.
- Excellent multi-tasking abilities and exceptional attention to details are required.
Work is performed in an office and laboratory environment. May be exposed to biological and chemical hazards. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. Light to moderate lifting and carrying objects with a maximum lift of 30lbs. Must be able to work while wearing personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, gloves, and lab coats deemed necessary to protect testing and to protect employees. Work is to be performed on site.
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities. The employer reserves the right to revise key functions of this position at any time.
LakePharma is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.
On June 7, 2021, the job title was updated for clarity.