Director/Senior Director, Head of In vivo Pharmacology
Founded in 2017 within Flagship Labs, Cellarity’s new approach to drug discovery is based on the computational modeling of cell behavior, leading to a more complete understanding of system and network biology to uncover cell-behavior-targeted medicines for a wide variety of diseases. Cellarity recently raised $123 million in Series B financing. The round included contributions from funds and accounts managed by BlackRock, The Baupost Group, Banque Pictet on behalf of their clients and eight other investors alongside Flagship Pioneering.
Cellarity is generating unprecedented biological insights by combining its unique expertise in network biology, high-resolution data, and machine learning. The result is a new understanding of the cell’s trajectory from health to disease, and how cells relate to one another in tissues. Because the cell and its network of transcripts and proteins offer a more complete view of the complexity of human biology than any individual molecular target, Cellarity’s approach allows for more efficient drug discovery and is designed to drive higher rates of clinical success. Already, the company has seven drug discovery programs underway in diverse therapeutic areas that range from metabolic disease to immuno-oncology.
The successful Series B financing round validates the strength of Cellarity’s science and its potential to redefine drug discovery through its cell-centric approach.
Cellarity is seeking an energetic, talented and highly motivated Director/Senior Director to lead our In Vivo Pharmacology efforts and play a vital role in the company’s efforts to progress small molecule lead candidates to IND. The candidate is expected to build and lead a team of scientists and research associates responsible for internal and external in vivo studies in rodents and non-rodent species. The successful candidate will work closely with the Cellarity leadership team and scientists, as well as the Flagship Pioneering team to rapidly advance Cellarity’s drug discovery programs. S/he will be comfortable working in and contributing to a highly dynamic and cross-functional team environment. The ideal candidate must be independent, driven, open-minded, curious, goal-oriented, have excellent communication skills and work in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- The Head of In Vivo Pharmacology will be responsible for all animal drug discovery research activities (study design, study execution, data analysis and study report writing) from exploratory to IND stage in multiple disease indications.
- S/he will be a key contributor for all exploratory and drug discovery cross functional program teams and will play a leading role in selecting and implementing (internally or externally) the most appropriate and translational disease models, including biomarkers, to address program objectives.
- The candidate will be expected to initiate and closely oversee necessary external collaborations including CROs and academic labs.
- Build, manage and lead a team of In vivo Scientists and Research Associates.
- The Head of In Vivo Pharmacology will be expected to effectively interface with various teams at Cellarity: Medicinal and Computational Chemistry, Computational Biology, Technology, Exploratory Biology and Drug Discovery teams, and with the Cellarity leadership team.
- PhD Degree in Biology or Pharmacology plus a minimum of 10+ years of relevant experience within pharma or biotech drug discovery and drug development
- Experience leading in vivo physiology and pharmacology studies for at least 3 small molecule programs from early discovery to IND in various disease indications and has hands-on experience with IND enabling studies and writing of pharmacology study reports for IND submission
- Proven track record in driving collaborative approaches in drug discovery with internal as well as external partners
- Openness to embrace and effectively utilize new technologies and digital approaches in drug discovery
- Strong leadership experience with the ability to build and manage teams within a matrix environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and operate in a fast-paced environment