Direct message the job poster from Ovid TherapeuticsShannon Cincotta
Sr. Director, Talent Acquisition & Management
Ovid Therapeutics Inc. is a New York-based biopharmaceutical company using its BoldMedicine® approach to develop medicines that transform the lives of patients with rare neurological disorders. We believe these disorders represent an attractive area for drug development as the understanding of the underlying biology has grown meaningfully over the last few years and today represents a substantial opportunity medically and commercially. Based on recent scientific advances in genetics and the biological pathways of the brain, we aim to identify, discover and acquire novel compounds for the treatment of rare neurological disorders. We have built a deep knowledge of such disorders, how to treat them and how to develop the clinically meaningful endpoints required for development of a compound in these disorders.
We continue to execute on our strategy to build this pipeline by discovering, in-licensing and collaborating with leading biopharmaceutical companies and academic institutions. Ovid's emerging pipeline programs include OV329, a small molecule GABA aminotransferase inhibitor for seizures associated with Tuberous Sclerosis Complex and Infantile Spasms; OV882, a short hairpin RNA therapy approach for Angelman syndrome; OV815, a genetic therapy approach for KIF1A associated neurological disorder; and other non-disclosed research targets. Additionally, Ovid maintains a financial interest in OV935 which is now being developed by Takeda.
This position can be based out of NYC or Cambridge, MA.ROLE PURPOSE
Business Development is the core of Ovid's strategy. Our goal is to secure a fully integrated pipeline: from early-stage research to emerging technology platforms to ready for the clinic compounds, all focused on treatments for rare and orphan diseases of the brain. Reporting to the Chief Business & Financial Officer, the Vice President Business Development will possess a keen business sense and strategic vision, an extensive network within the broader biopharma BD community, a demonstrated track record of identifying, sourcing, negotiating, and closing partnerships (as exemplified by a robust deal sheet), proven critical and strategic thinking, while effectively utilizing data and analytics for decision making. We look for passion in scientific innovation, adept business skills, and excitement about working in a dynamic environment.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Play a leadership role in developing and expanding our growth and value creation opportunities for partnerships, alliances, in/out-licensing deals and other collaborations through sourcing, evaluating, developing, structuring, negotiating and closing business and financial terms
- Develop the strategic, scientific, financial, and business rationale for contemplated transactions through close collaboration with Ovid finance, legal, scientific, development and regulatory teams in order to present a compelling and clear case to the executives, resulting in sound investment and alliance decisions
- Conduct ongoing market research and competitive intelligence in areas of strategic importance to Ovid;
- Build and maintain a business development funnel of opportunities through a solid understanding of the pre-clinical/clinical and competitive landscape, through cultivating relationships with the biotech and academic community, associations and key opinion leaders
- Prepare materials for Senior Management and Board of Directors' meetings regarding updates and potential transactions
- Serve as an ongoing internal champion of these partnerships as needed and ensure that stakeholders are kept informed and fulfill their obligations towards the success of the partnerships
- 15+ years of relevant experience in the biotech/pharma industry including 8+ years of direct experience in business development;
- Undergraduate, advanced degree in a relevant scientific discipline, or MBA is a plus; must have a proven ability to quickly understand new science and technologies;
- Strategic mindset with the ability to take business leaders' concerns and demands into account in how best to pursue business strategies;
- Experience in both the financial and legal aspects of negotiating deals;
- Well-developed negotiation skills with a successful track record of leading transactions to closing;
- Ability to build and maintain and network of relationships to facilitate deal flow;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (oral and written) and a demonstrated ability to communicate with and successfully influence senior level management, executives, key clients, and stakeholders at all levels;
- Ability to analyze complicated issues and synthesize to the salient points, develop resulting action plans and execute to conclusion;
- Entrepreneurial mentality that is hands-on, results oriented, and resourceful;
- Self-starter who excels in small, fast-paced environment;
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (oral and written) and a demonstrated ability to communicate with and successfully influence senior level management, executives, key clients, and stakeholders at all levels'
- Must have a deal sheet which demonstrates successful record of accomplishment and market reputation leading all phases of transactions from initial engagement to cross-functional diligence, valuation, term sheet negotiation, integration planning, deal closing and executive reporting;
EEO Statement: OVID Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity employer. All OVID recruiting is conducted in a fair and non-discriminatory manner without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Show more Show less