Associate Director, Protein Engineering
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Associate Director, Protein Engineering
We are seeking an experienced and creative expert in protein/antibody engineering who will drive the advancement of novel therapeutics targeting the interface between the immune system and tumor microenvironment. The Discovery Biotherapeutics team at Bristol Myers Squibb seeks to understand the structure and function of complex molecules to optimize their utility as therapeutic agents. We collaborate with biology and translational scientists imbedded in the Thematic Research Centers in order to prosecute targets and Biological pathways with disease modifying potential. By using a blend of internal and external technologies and capabilities, we work to discover and deliver first-in-class as well as best-in-class molecules that warrant clinical evaluation for patient benefit. The candidate will be expected to lead a protein engineering team, co-lead projects, utilize in-vitro biochemical and immune assays, as well as develop new technologies and move pipeline projects forward.
- Lead a high performing team of protein/antibody engineers with varied specialty areas including mechanistic elucidation, computational biology, display technologies, protein chemistry/conjugation, structural biology, and biochemical / immuno assay screening
- Work closely with Tumor microenvironment discovery group to ensure successful progression of pipeline projects ranging from pre-clinical discovery to clinical proof-of-concept
- Provide scientific leadership, strategic, and technical guidance to build a robust biotherapeutics portfolio
- Engineer differentiated lead molecules including but not limited to antibodies, multispecifics, cytokines, fusion proteins, and ADCs
- Responsible for developing new technologies and platforms to stay at the cutting edge of biologics discovery
- Develop, test, and utilize machine learning approaches to improve protein engineering and antibody generation
- Lead optimization towards optimal developability criteria
- Generate tools and participate in target discovery/validation activities.
- Function as a key member of the Redwood city Biotherapeutics Leadership Team
- Assist business development in assessing in and out-licensing opportunities.
- Contribute to patent filings and publications and present research finding to various audiences
- Ph.D. and postdoctoral work in Biochemistry, Immunology , Molecular & Cell Biology or similar fields with 10+ years of post Ph.D. experience
- Extensive experience in engineering and characterization of protein and antibody variants as clinical leads
- Ability to lead a high performing multidisciplinary biologics drug discovery team
- Expertise in biology, immunology, and biochemistry to design and implement functional and cell-based assays to support technology development, antibody selections, and mechanistic studies is desirable
- Background in Oncology, Immuno-oncology, or tumor microenvironment is a plus
- Experience in co-leading projects
- Experience with various display technologies (yeast, phage, mammalian)
- Experience and knowledge of molecular biology, protein expression, and purification
- Knowledge of machine learning is a plus
- Evidence of scientific leadership with publication in top-tier journals
- Excellent written, oral, and organizational skill
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an approval of accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.