Sr. Manager, Clinical Budget Development
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Lead, Clinical Budget Development works independently with business partners to develop global clinical site budgets for clinical study agreements, manages a team of clinical budget analysts, and is responsible for ensuring compliance with all relevant Abbvie policies, procedures, and objectives. The Lead, Clinical Budget Development is the primary owner of the global clinical site budget development process with ultimate responsibility for client satisfaction and helping to drive more efficient site contract negotiations by delivering high quality global budgets that reflect the procedure and personnel costs required to support AbbVie’s clinical trials. Lead, Clinical Budget Development provides solutions-based expertise both internally and externally at a global level and manages business partner interfaces to ensure the business achieves study start-up goals and effective deliverables.
- Works under the guidance of Global Site Contracting management and is the first line of contact for R&D business partners involved in the global budget development process for Clinical Study Agreements (CSAs). Monitors timelines for all clinical studies to ensure global budgets are built within study-required timelines for both original and amended protocols.
- Takes the lead role in development of CSA site budgets for global utilization to ensure actionable, relevant budgets are provided to business partners on time. Identifies and leads ongoing process improvement initiatives related to the global site budget development process. Supports Global Site Contracting Compliance function on all audit requests.
- Responsible for direct management of clinical budget analyst staff including workload management, quality of deliverables and escalation of issues to management when needed. Demonstrates qualifications needed to train and QC work of direct reports.
- Understands cost drivers associated with procedures required within the clinical site study budget. Demonstrates a high level of contract/budget and technical competencies across multiple therapeutic areas. Highly competent in negotiation and contracting/budgeting business standards. Acts as the first line contact for issue escalation related to global clinical site budgets.
- Responsible for communication of status on global site budget development with key internal and external stakeholders in a timely manner. Also responsible for the timely communication of issues to stakeholders that could impact project timelines. Works closely with clinical teams from all therapeutic areas, R&D Finance, Global Medical Affairs, legal, OEC, and global team of contract managers to resolve site budgeting issues/concerns.
- Serves as subject matter expert for cost benchmarking and cost benchmarking tool; provides internal training and ongoing support on a global level.
- Supports business partners’ requests for ad hoc cost benchmarking analysis and global site budget template development.
- Manages relevant vendor relationships, including agreement scopes of service and provides issue resolution at moderate complexity; knows when to escalate to senior management.
- Utilizes grant planning/industry cost benchmarking tools, ICD-9/10 codes, and CPT codes to ensure standardization of budget format.
•BA/BS is required; Degree in health-related, business and/or finance related field is preferred.
•8+ years professional work experience, including 5+ years in research setting with pharmaceutical industry expertise in clinical contracting, outsourcing or finance is required.
•Must have demonstrated ability in negotiation, project management, effective communication and relationship management. Contract negotiation experience in scientific setting is preferred. Demonstrated management experience in contracts, budgets, clinical site/sponsor relationship and performance related to clinical drug studies is preferred.
•Candidate should have demonstrated advanced problem solving skills in a team environment and an ability to establish and influence team timelines and expectations.
•Must have attention to detail along with an understanding of the quality/compliance environment.
•Customer support focused expertise is highly desirable. Ability to manage internal and external relationships effectively and independently.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.