Senior Scientist, Medicinal (Synthetic Organic) Chemistry
Mirati Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRTX) is a San Diego-based late-stage biotechnology company relentlessly focused on translating drug discovery and research into new treatments for patients by advancing and delivering novel therapeutics that target the genetic and immunologic drivers of cancer. Mirati is advancing a novel pipeline to treat large patient populations across multiple programs and tumor types, including two programs, adagrasib (MRTX849) and sitravatinib, in registration-enabling studies to treat non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
Adagrasib is an investigational small molecule and selective KRAS G12C inhibitor in clinical development as a monotherapy and in combinations. MRTX1133 is an investigational small molecule, potent and selective KRAS G12D inhibitor in preclinical development.
Sitravatinib is an investigational spectrum-selective inhibitor of receptor tyrosine kinases (RTK) designed to enhance immune responses through the inhibition of immunosuppressive signaling. Sitravatinib is being evaluated in multiple clinical trials to treat patients who are refractory to prior immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy, including a Phase 3 trial of sitravatinib in combination with nivolumab in NSCLC.
The Company has initiated plans to prepare for the commercialization of adagrasib by establishing its commercial and medical affairs team. Mirati's ambition is to continue to recruit and a build a world-class, high-performing team with a shared passion and dedication for transforming the future of cancer treatment.
We are Mirati
Our mission is to discover, design, and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of cancer patients and their loved ones. We have built a culture fueled by accountability, urgency, collaboration and open-mindedness, and have established ourselves as an innovator within our industry. As we grow, we are looking to build diverse teams, with skilled individuals that are passionate about their work.
Why join us?
The drug discovery team at Mirati is responsible for the invention, optimization and characterization of small molecules as clinical candidates for the Mirati research portfolio. Mirati is seeking an extraordinary synthetic organic chemist to join the drug discovery team at the Senior Scientist level within the medicinal chemistry group.
- Utilize cutting-edge synthetic methodologies and techniques to design and execute efficient syntheses of target compounds.
- Develop and utilize a deep knowledge of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery principles to advance portfolio projects from inception to the selection of development candidates
- Create optimization strategies for improving lead series potency, selectivity, physiochemical properties, in vitro ADME, and PK by coupling multivariant SAR analysis with hypothesis-driven medicinal chemistry design principles.
- Work closely with structural biology and computational chemistry colleagues to develop hypotheses that address key drug optimization goals and design novel compounds testing those hypotheses.
- Create intellectual property that advances portfolio projects. Prepare and update patent applications protecting lead series.
- Prepare and present summaries of work for department and project meetings.
- Coordinate activities with outside partners and CROs; help maintain corporate database; prepare and deliver internal presentations, patent applications and external publications as driven by the project and corporate strategies.
- Engage with CMC and early development teams to facilitate IND-enabling activities for drug substance to ensure a seamless transition from late discovery to early development with internal accountability and flexibility.
- Maintain all appropriate legal and corporate standards for lab safety and hazardous material management; execute daily chemistry operations with an approach designed to minimize risks and hazardous waste streams.
What is Required:
- Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry with 0-4 years of experience post-degree in an academic or industrial setting
- A track record of synthetic productivity and problem solving, as demonstrated by patent applications, publications, and presentations
- Ability to apply the principle of physical organic chemistry to rationalize reaction mechanism and molecular interactions
- Demonstration of outstanding communication skills through internal/external presentations and publications
- Flexibility in adapting methods/skills according to evolving priorities
- The ability to work within a fast-paced matrixed team of experts and scientific associates
Mirati's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regards to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.