Process Development Engineer/Scientist
About The Role:
As a Process Development Engineer, you will play an Engineer/Scientist role. You will be the subject matter expert in Cannabis biomass handling, extraction, and refinement for the R&D team. Your role will include research activities to better understand process parameters to improve efficiency of existing operations involving Cannabis plant materials, in-process materials, and finished products. In this role you will also develop processes to enable new product development. At all times you will be closely linked to Manufacturing to ensure all recommended processes are scalable. You will participate in many cross-functional teams including Analytical Chemistry, Cultivation, and Manufacturing.
What You'll Do
- Lead R&D activities to support new process/product development.
- Identify and develop methods for evaluating process efficiencies of raw materials, in-process materials, and finished products. These methods will directly correlate to product attributes valued by our Consumer.
- Employ these methods to evaluate processes and materials to assure the integrity and quality of process and product development to deliver to our Consumer the highest quality products that meet their highly refined product and experience expectations.
- Identify equipment, space, and utility requirements to set-up both a fully functional pilot plant for trialing new process improvements and new product development and production environments.
- Develop and draft SOPs for new processes to transfer technology to Manufacturing
- Assist in troubleshooting and resolving issues with any finished product quality concerns including initiating and monitoring corrective actions.
- Learn and understand processes throughout R&D and Manufacturing to better assist with troubleshooting, determining root cause, and improving work processes.
- Collaborate with Manufacturing on all aspects of production, including evaluation of new equipment and processes.
- Ensure that safety is first priority in everything you do.
- Prioritize work in a fast-paced environment to limit downtime and keep operations moving.
- Instill and implement Good Lab Practices, keeping a clean and safe laboratory.
- Work with the highest attention to detail and data integrity.
- Maintain professionalism and live CCA’s core values at all times
- Perform all other duties as assigned or inherent to the position
What You'll Need to Have
· Position Requirements:
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in relevant discipline or Bachelors Degree in Chemical/Process Engineering with 5 years relevant work experience or 7+ years direct experience in Cannabis biomass handling, extraction, and refinement required.
- Hands-on experience and knowledge of plant biomass handling, extraction, and refinement processes, equipment, controls, and operations.
- Experience in a pilot plant environment with knowledge of requirements to qualify processes for transfer to Manufacturing.
- Experience in a Cannabis product Manufacturing environment with knowledge of requirements and regulations for production in the State of California.
- Strong analytical skills. Demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of good laboratory best practices, including sample prep, handling, data recording, and record keeping.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize work while multitasking.
- Demonstrate motivation and a good work ethic under minimal supervision.
- Must work effectively in team environments.
- Statistical process control skills and use of statistical analysis software required.
- Highly collaborative and have excellent interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently and “roll up your sleeves” to make things happen.
- Must possess a high degree of creativity in design and engineering to solve problems with equipment and materials at hand.
- High intensity team player who thrives in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Constantly questioning the way things are done in a constructive manner and thrives on change that improves results.
- Experience with lean or six sigma process improvement frameworks a plus.
- Open (no agendas), honest and trustworthy.
- Effective leadership and strategic influencing skills.
- Results oriented individual with a desire to manage change through to fruition.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
- Expert user of Microsoft Office and/or Google’s G suite.
- Functional knowledge of California cannabis regulations.
- Must be 21 years of age (or older) at the time of hire.
- Proficiency of the English language, verbal and written format.