Principal Investigator – Lead Discovery & Optimization
R&D Quantitative Biology · Hayward, California
Arcus Biosciences was founded on the vision of creating new cancer therapeutics through the utilization of unexploited insights in immunology. The company was formed in 2015 by a group of seasoned researchers from the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries. Arcus is a tight knit interdisciplinary team and the successful applicant will work closely among researchers with different technical backgrounds in biology, chemistry and DMPK team. The position offers a unique and unusual opportunity for professional development, gaining in-depth exposure to industrial drug discovery and development from an experienced and proven team.
Arcus Biosciences currently has an exceptional opportunity for a Principal Investigator to fill a leading role in our growing Lead Discovery & Optimization group. The selected applicant will be responsible for delivering the in vitro assays that drive our drug discovery effort. This includes, but is not limited to, design, development, automation, and execution of robust, reproducible biochemical and cell-based assays using the full range of modern bioassay technologies. Data generated by the Lead Discovery group is central to the assessment and selection of drug candidates and the advancement of programs into clinical evaluation. The role demands working closely with the research leadership team to inform key decisions on compound and program progression.
The successful candidate will also be expected to provide scientific guidance, management, and mentorship to his/her direct reports, and interact closely with other scientists across the Research organization. The ability to think critically about complex experiments and incorporate diverse input from other scientists is critical if you are to be effective in this position. The position requires extensive cell biology, molecular biology, protein biochemistry, and HTS knowledge, gained over years of hands-on experience.
- A Ph.D. degree in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, or related life sciences discipline.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in an industry environment, with an emphasis on bioassay development, HTS or SAR work.
- Experience in a successful drug discovery organization would be an advantage. Candidates with a history of applying assay development in the area of immunology or cancer biology will be favored.
- A track record of effectively managing and mentoring scientific staff.
- Demonstrated highly goal-driven approach and ability to focus on time-sensitive objectives.
- Experience with laboratory robotics and automated data analysis
- Hands on experience with assay techniques such as HTRF, AlphaLISA, NanoBRET, Reporter assay, Flow Cytometry, image-based assays, label-free assays, or MS analysis preferred.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and communication skills.
Arcus Biosciences, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.