Research Scientist, Protein Purification
NextCure is a public biopharmaceutical company located in Beltsville, MD, involved in the discovery and development of novel therapeutic biologics for the treatment of cancer and autoimmune diseases. The Research team at NextCure is looking for exceptional Research Associates and Scientists committed to bringing new drugs to patients.
The Research team is currently looking for broadly trained individuals with experience in protein biochemistry with an emphasis on protein purification. Experience in mammalian cell culture and molecular biology are highly desired as well. Successful candidates are expected to contribute to ongoing activities in a focused, efficient and timely manner in concert with other team members.
- Supplying the research groups with proteins; Purify and characterize needed reagents to help with continuing efforts in research to further NextCure projects
- Growth and maintenance of CHO production cultures for antibody and fusion protein production
- Protein A affinity purification of recombinant antibodies and fusion proteins
- Ni-NTA affinity purification of His-tagged recombinant fusion proteins
- Removal of protein aggregates by Size Exclusion Chromatography (SEC)
- Determination of protein quality by SDS-PAGE and HPLC analysis
- Generation of Certificates of Testing which include endotoxin level determination, protein aggregation levels, concentration and osmolality.
- Present information and data to cross functional teams and the larger organization
- The successful candidate will be highly motivated and passionate about developing new drugs and bringing them to the clinic.
- Possess a BS/MS or PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemistry or related discipline
- Possess 5-10 years of experience in a biopharmaceutical research laboratory
- Have a hands-on, working knowledge of current protein purification techniques including Protein A and SEC chromatography. Hands on experience with AKTA and HPLC is a plus.
- Having a hands-on, working knowledge of basic molecular biology techniques including DNA cloning and PCR is desirable
- Have excellent record-keeping and time management skills
- Ability to solve problems, offer solutions, think logically and have a quick and retentive memory
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work productively in a matrix team environment in a growing and changing environment
- Flexible, self-starting and self-managing
- Ability to maintain confidential information in a professional manner
- Positive approach and willingness to accept new projects as required