Field Director, Medical Science Liaisons, Psychiatry - West Region
AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn.
The Field Director, MSL (FD) plans, directs, coordinates and supports the activities of the Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs) within a designated geographic region to achieve scientific and business objectives within a therapeutic area of U.S. Medical Affairs. This includes, but is not limited to, coaching and mentoring for a designated number of medical level professionals (MSLs) in a therapeutic region. The FD reports to a therapeutic Field Medical Lead and works cross-functionally within U.S. Medical Affairs to identify, develop, implement, and monitor MSL strategies and tactics. Duties include strategic planning, financial management, personnel management, performance management process, regional awareness and expertise, data analysis, generation of metrics, material management, professional development, training, support, and execution of organizational goals and objectives.
- People Leadership and Development: Recruitment and retention of key talent for AbbVie. Builds an organization reflecting a diverse and inclusive workforce through identification of team capability gaps and independent strengths. Establishes a productive work environment by creating trust and respect within the group and establishes self as a business partner. Consistently model “One-AbbVie” and AbbVie Ways of Working Leadership behaviors.
- People Leadership and Development: Provide coaching, mentoring and guidance that is consistent and timely to MSLs regarding their individual performance and progress, including annual performance reviews, growth and succession planning, and real time field reports based upon regular field travel combined with data analysis. Addresses performance issues decisively and appropriately in accordance with AbbVie’s guidelines and Performance Excellence process.
- People Leadership and Development: Ultimate responsibility for scientific knowledge of self/team and oversight of MSL territory plans. Maintains clinical knowledge of designated therapeutic area and broad market knowledge of the region, including current treatment strategies, current and pending competitors, new therapeutic developments, payor dynamics, and other market issues/trends as it pertains to specific medical business interests.
- Regional Execution of Field-Medical Strategy: Maintain deep understanding of therapeutic strategy and interpretation of analytics to inform and maximize MSL Core Capabilities. Accountable for the direction and execution of MSL’s regional goals/objectives and territory plans. Evaluate appropriate tools and analytics to ensure optimal trial performance through investigator engagement and excellence in collaboration and coordination with clinical operations within the geographic region.
- Regional Execution of Field-Medical Strategy: Maximizes In-Field Team Effectiveness. Ensure that MSL team members maintain adequate communications and interaction with the field sales organization, when appropriate and according to compliance and regulatory guidelines. Ensure cross-functional ways of working with field-medical partners in Clinical Development, Clinical Operations, Medical Value and Access, Site Management and Monitoring teams.
- Regional Execution of Field-Medical Strategy: Assists leadership with business/clinical strategy and tactical plan development, tactical plan implementation, impact goal achievement, and quantification of results at the field level. Accountable for and have decision-making responsibility for deploying regional resources to support franchise and business initiatives and ensure attainment of medical objectives.
- Team Development and Field Execution: Ensures MSLs have the necessary tools, training, and materials to perform effectively. Responsible for identifying and partnering on potential projects that would enhance organizational impact and/or lead to successful execution of therapeutic Medical Objectives.
- Maintain Core Consistency of MSL Ways We Work: Works with other MSL Field Directors regarding standardization and consistency of MSL role. Identifies opportunities for cross-functional integration of MSL roles and activities at the field level. Communicates regional activities and results to Field Medical Lead and other cross-functional leadership.
- Ensure Internal Feed-back Loop: Translation of Field-Medical execution and initiatives to enhance cross functional collaboration with aligned stakeholders. Synthesize DPOs and provide field insights, along with FML, to relevant internal stakeholders.
- Responsible for team compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures: Ensures MSL team members update and maintain all required databases with current and complete information. Ensures appropriate documentation of EE/HCP Customer interactions and responses to unsolicited requests. Ensures team member adherence to regulatory and compliance guidelines in all aspects of scientific dissemination of information. Manages activities within assigned budget.
- Bachelor’s degree in the health sciences from an accredited university required. Advanced degree preferred in a relevant scientific discipline. Doctorate strongly preferred in a health science or clinical discipline. Significant industry experience in relevant therapeutic area may be accepted in lieu of education requirements.
- 3-5 years’ experience (greater than 7 years preferred) with demonstrated leadership success in the following areas: pharmaceutical field-based experience and/or pharmaceutical industry related experience.
- Exhibits leadership attributes that align with company-wide initiatives such as: All for One AbbVie, Clear and Courageous, Make Possibilities Real, Agile and Accountable, and Decide Smart and Sure.
- Flexibility in adapting/reacting to changing market dynamics and competitive challenges. Tolerance for ambiguity and the ability to be flexible within the work environment. High sense of urgency and commitment to excellence in the successful achievement of objectives. Excellent planning and organizational skills to demonstrate leadership and initiative.
- Teamwork is a mandatory requirement as it involves internal/external networking in the district, region, franchise and across departments. Ability to work in cross-functional teams.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual and administrative skills. Advanced communication skills both oral, written and presentation. Excellent problem solving and analytic capability in concert with strong negotiation skills. Competent to use standard computer technologies including integrated business software (word processing, spreadsheet) and other common applications.
- The ability to influence without authority.
- Demonstrated exceptional business judgment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities. Must be able to identify and analyze the needs of the business and translate problems into business opportunities.
- Knowledge of personnel management including recruitment, hiring, progressive discipline process, coaching and motivation..
Significant Work Activities
Driving a personal auto or company car or truck, or a powered piece of material handling equipment
Yes, 75 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.